jskwarek

Spy vs Spy

Good morning all, I've got a project I'm trying to do for my truck. I'd like to put this decal on the tailgate of my black Lightning. I am thinking of creating the decal in three colors (red, white black) to match the attached JPG. Then doing a 3 layer vinyl decal.

I'm struggling with how to do it the correct way. Any advice, or anyone wanna make a few bucks to do it and then I could study the file and to see how it was done?

TIA, Jason

Here's a SCALP File, version I've started. I can't upload one, so it's a link from my DropBox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfn0ry7jtsx2a8z/Spy%20Vs%20Spy.scut3?dl=0

post-94880-0-74404700-1452370821_thumb.j

That is copyrighted/trademarked  are you expecting someone to break the law for you?   It's against forum policy

I use to love Mad magazine.

mark-s

Yea, that's why I was attempting to make it. Loved Mad and Spy vs. Spy would be a nod to my twin brother.

JS

Let's not talk about it being SVS, right now. Here's what I'm stumbling with. It's pretty straight forward and easy to recreate a graphic on a white background. Change it to a black background. I'm making my brain hurt staring at it on a layer by layer basis and trying to figure out how to translate the cuts into a black background and still read the same way.

JS

I know what you're talking about. It's definitely a mind game. Basically the black parts of the above image have no outline and the white parts do because there have to be something to separate the white in the image from the white of the background. If switching to black you would be needng to add a white outline behind or around the current black image and with the white you could remove the current black outline and let the white inner fills stand alone. Being there are mixed uses within each character it will be a little tricky to work it out but you'll get there. 

If you are making fun stuff for yourself just don't post the vector file to avoid getting scolded. I don't know if there is anyone on here that hasn't built something that was someone else's intellectual property but we are self policed on the forum and try to make sure everyone one understands the rules. As I am sure you are learning, with a vector program and some skills there is little to stop one from making whatever they want but there are laws in place to prevent their use, particularly for personal gain and even what trademark law calls dilution of their market. It's just dangerous ground so be forewarned. Heck I am wearing a shirt right now that is a silhouette of yoda with a set of headphones around his neck. It was just too cool not to make one and wear it to the star wars opening but you won't find me selling it nor posting the file on the forum. 

I too was a huge Madd mag fan in my youth so I love those guys too. 

You're basically wanting to do this.

This is a simpler image but basically I duplicated the original, broke it apart and pulled out the silhouette, then expand it to slightly larger than the original and change it to white. Put it below the main image and above the black background.

post-25571-0-91189300-1452529466_thumb.p

• Like 1