Sign in to follow this  
DD1229

vinyl pulling up while weeding

I am new to cutting vinyl so appreciate help and patience.Just purchased the 15" table Titan I  have cut a few files but the more detail in the file the harder it is to weed. dots and lines that are supposed to stay are coming up when weeding. from reading here trying to learn to fine tune pressure and speed settings. Pressure is at 100 the machine came with the speed set at 325 but read posts last night that said they cut a speed of 50 or 60. Do speed and pressure settings change for different materials because I cut easy weed heat vinyl and it weeded great. The vinyl I am working with is Greenstar Outdoor. I have adjusted the blade to about half credit cars thickness it scored the carrier sheet on the heat vinyl but not the Greenstar. getting long winded hereso I will stop and say thanks in advance     Daryl

"I have adjusted the blade to about half credit cars thickness" Ditch this idea  now.  That is too much blade exposed.

This is how you correctly set your blade depth. Fine details need slower speed.  You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Ok thanks for the quick reply I will try to re adjust the blade I bought 2 10 yd rolls of GS vinyl can't afford to just ditch them as for speed is 50 - 60 a fair start or more

GS can vary in thickness from roll to roll and even by color. If you get you machine dialed in and adjusted to the vinyl it will cut fine. But you have to work for it.

I agree with Mz SKEETER  a  better vinyl will yield consistent results. 

Yeah the GS is not the favorite for detailed work. You will use it at some point so you don't need to ditch it but you might want to shelve it. Slower cutting for smaller details helps. Easy weed lives up to it's name and is IMO probably the best product (Siser in general) on the market, but that is HTV not adhesive vinyl. If you have tiny stuff to cut you can experiment with different vinyl types and find some brands that will cut and weed small better. For really tiny stuff I often turn to 3M/Gerber 225 high performance cast vinyl (sold locally at a sign supply shop) It's very high dollar but has a clear carrier and weeds like a dream. I have done mass quantities of silly craft items with this stuff and shaved working time down by 60-75% just because it weeds so good so the cost is more than offset by the saving in labor. 

• Like 2

Easy weed lives up to it's name and is IMO probably

I've always wondered what it would be like to have started out using only Easyweed and then trying to switch to regular vinyl later on and wondering what the #*$*#$ you were doing wrong because it just won't #*#*#$ cooperate!

• Like 1

Daryl,

if you are cutting tiny items, use a quality cast vinyl as wildgoose mentioned.

I like or Oracal 651 minumum, 751 cast prefered. For years i cut detail on a budget cutter (Pcut 630) and used a reverse weeding method- AFTER dialing in the blade, pressure and settings. There has to be a section somewhere on reverse weeding - apply app tape to the whole piece, flip- tape corners  to your table - then weed off the app tape. :) this is slower...

The tinier you get- the better the cutter and materials required for closing the cuts and corners.- thus making it easier to weed.

• Like 1

have been working all weekend going to try blade and speed adjustments and see if I can get better results. Luckily not doing jobs for customers just tryin to make stencils for blasting. I will in the future buy better vinyl and hopefully see better results. For now I am reading and trying to learn as I go sure I will get it just a learning curve I guess. I also like having this forum where friendly people are willing to help. Thanks