Sign in to follow this  
LDR

First tees with some issues

Hi guys and gals, I have made my first 3 or 4 shirts. I'm not real pleased with the out come of them. Do I need the logo it to get things where need to be? Also on the light color shirts its leaving a black square from the press, I was told this would go away on the first wash, so I washed shirt to test that theory black square still there. I'm pressing for 13 seconds @ 310*. What do I need to purchase to take care of these issues?  Thanks Lenny 

what HTV are you using?  are you covering it with a teflon or butcher paper sheet when pressing?   is your platen clean?

I'm using Siser easy weed. I don't have either Teflon or butcher paper. I tried parchment paper that didn't work very well. What is the proper way to clean the platen?

the bigger question is are you getting all the HTV off of the transfer carrier ? there might be a thin line bordering the image just a thought

Its a 15 x 15 burn spot. I've turned the temp down to 305 and pressed for 10 seconds not as bad but still noticable. Not sure the transfer is stay on the shirt at that time. I've seen video's of people doing many transfers without teflon sheets. I will buy one if will take care of problem.

Doesn't sound like we're getting the complete story.

Where did you get this heat press from?   New or Used?

Why do you need to clean it?   It should never get dirty. 

Fill us in on anything else you think could help us solve this problem. 

• Like 1

Have you checked the temp? Are you sure that isn't Celsius? Never seen a burn at anything near 300 degrees before

The press is a heat press nations 15 x 15. It a felt cover on bottom platen, nothing on top. I've touching the felt lower for a few seconds to help in weeding.  

Use a teflon sheet or parchment paper on top of the shirt when you press it.

Make sure it's not set to celsius because 300 c will fry a design like that (ask me how I know that lol)

• Like 1

It's on F. After some more research I have found out I tried wax paper which helped a little. My search for some parchment paper will start shortly. I would like to know how many folks use teflon and how many don't. I'm going to order a teflon sheet today anyway to protect the upper platen.

ok = wax paper would do that - the wax would melt onto the platen and keep staining shirts afterwards like you are showing - that is why it isn't doing it on the transfer area - the transfer is protecting the wax from soaking in the shirt in that particular area.  that is a mistake that will keep causing problems for a while lol

• Like 2

I'd imagine he has to clean the platen now.  Also to the OP, You can buy parchment paper at your local supermarket or Wal-Mart.  It's in their baking section.  If you want something larger sized, then I'd imagine a good outlet store for food preparation would be a good place to look.  Myself I have to buy some platen cleaner, and I'm going to buy some Teflon sheets as well.

I use Teflon sheets or parchment on top and bottom every time.

Got a big roll of the parchment at Costco.

Sue2

• Like 1

Ok guys and gals, I live in a small town, found some parchment paper finally. Pressed 26 seconds @ 310* on a white shirt, still perfectly white. i think the upper platen picked up a film from the lower platen. Its covered with a piece of felt feeling like material. I would close press against it for a few seconds to help in weeding. It will be covered from now on when I do this step. Should I go ahead and clean upper platen or let it be?

It can't hurt to clean it...but I would look into a fitted Teflon slip cover for your

heat press....that way you won't forget the cover and ruin another shirt.

Just search for:   Teflon heat press platen covers

Sue2

• Like 1

I usually wipe mine down with denatured alcohol before every run......And I also use Teflon sheets up top and a Teflon cover on the bottom platen

That's wasn't there when I made my last post. But now I still know.  

Ok guys and gals, I live in a small town, found some parchment paper finally. Pressed 26 seconds @ 310* on a white shirt, still perfectly white. i think the upper platen picked up a film from the lower platen. Its covered with a piece of felt feeling like material. I would close press against it for a few seconds to help in weeding. It will be covered from now on when I do this step. Should I go ahead and clean upper platen or let it be?

I would guess it picked up a coat of wax that melted from the wax paper