busterbay

Best way to cut coroplast

What is the best way to clean cut 18 x 24 coroplast into 6 x 24 sections ?

I will have 100 so I really don't want to use a knife and straight rule unless this is the only way.

Are you cutting with the flutes or across the flutes?

I have a 24" Ingento paper cutter that works great on cutting Coroplast across the flutes. 

coro claw

The coro claw as the ticket for cutting with the flutes thanks !!

Has anyone used a scroll saw or similar to cut shapes ?

• Like 1

The coro claw as the ticket for cutting with the flutes thanks !!

Has anyone used a scroll saw or similar to cut shapes ?

That would probably not work out too well, IMO.

You might want to give GRIMCO a call, they provide a service of pre-cutting at their local warehouse, and they might handle your entire order (maybe charging a slight fee for that large quantity).

Which way do you want the flutes running? That's important.

By the way, I even cut MaxMetal with a utility knife !!   (score it a few times, and snap it)  -- it will tear up the blade going through the aluminum layer, but blades are cheap.

irwin-fk250-folding-utility-knife-1590.j  131296932489_1.jpg

I haven't had luck with a knife unless I use a straight edge. That's why I was asking about a saw.

I was also thinking of a desktop CNC but since it's only a trial I don't want to drop the $$ on one.  Another thought was a carver copier. 

I am talking about irregular shapes like these

post-64078-0-24317800-1456324549_thumb.j

Bandsaw might work for those shapes, but I would image the edges will be left a little ruff.

Laser, find someone to do the job for you.

Anyone with a laser won't touch the stuff.   It's a vinyl product that releases chlorine gas when it's burned.   Chlorine gas is poisonous and will destroy the machine because it's very corrosive.  

• Like 2

Anyone with a laser won't touch the stuff.   It's a vinyl product that releases chlorine gas when it's burned.   Chlorine gas is poisonous and will destroy the machine because it's very corrosive.  

Exactly why I let that one go... Just as bad as welding EMT.

Not necessarily true that Coroplast will emit HCl or Cl gas if laser cut.  True Coroplast is not a vinyl product.  According to the MSDS, it is polypropylene.  PVC (vinyl) molecules contain chlorine which produces HCl and Cl gas when vaporized.  Polypropylene molecules only contain hydrogen and carbon.  Though it probably wouldn't be a great idea to directly breathe the fumes from laser cutting, it doesn't appear to produce anything too detrimental to people or equipment.

I've never tried cutting it myself, but I have a spare piece that I can try out.  I've read that it is rather flammable if cut at too high of a power setting, but multiple passes at a lower power can remedy that.

Found a couple of other forums where a water jet cutter was recommended and a couple where routers were used. Although that was on a wood working page where they deal with routers all the time. Sounds like the key to using a router was the correct bit, a variable speed router and going the correct direction.

• Like 1