When issuing a item up for a job you all usually charge a vector fee? ive seen some that do it, Basically a $5-$15 fee just to vectorize it? but when doing multiple items do you still do the same?

I find that my customers prefer ONE price...everything included.

For instance, for a pair of full color vehicle magnets I will quote say

$90 for the first pair which includes "BASIC" set-up/design

and $30 each for additional magnet.

They seem to appreciate the bottom line not being hidden with 

extras.

It works for me.

Sue2

• Like 1

I mean say  like a customer sends you a bunch of images. And you have to vector them and clean them up, so they will be cut-able and Everything in the price of cutting the decal and etc etc?

I don't charge a set up fee if they are buying products but I specifically tell that to them as part of my self promotion. Basically "I don't charge a set up fee ever" because I know 95% of people who have bought from others have been charged those fees. I increase my price so that it is covered to my satisfaction within the work and then as they buy more and more shirts or whatever I get paid that little bit every time so in the end it pays off better anyway. 

That being said I don't think there is anything wrong with charging for it. 

I also stepped up my game a bit the last couple months and bought an embroidery machine and with THAT work I have some caveats regarding set-up's. 

• Like 1

I don't charge a set up fee if they are buying products but I specifically tell that to them as part of my self promotion. Basically "I don't charge a set up fee ever" because I know 95% of people who have bought from others have been charged those fees. I increase my price so that it is covered to my satisfaction within the work and then as they buy more and more shirts or whatever I get paid that little bit every time so in the end it pays off better anyway. 

That being said I don't think there is anything wrong with charging for it. 

I also stepped up my game a bit the last couple months and bought an embroidery machine and with THAT work I have some caveats regarding set-up's. 

I do the same as you goose with no Setup fee or actually a design fee,It actually brings me more customers which equals more money and ,makes up for it in the end..

• Like 1

Well the person actually paid it and said no one got as close to it as i did, Needless to say i do not have degree in anything graphic design. So they told me they would pay extra anytime that i had to go beyond my time to do this. As i work 16+ hrs a day at my main job and do this on the side. When i told them what it was for and all Because most companies charge $15 -$75 per hr for anything design,  One company told them $15 vector fee on top of the sticker would cost @ $45 per hr.. 

Ps so would you charge a up front fee for vector/ design on all orders that needed vector to keep it fair? im not looking to get rich or anything but feel if i have to spend 3+ hrs on vectorizing and design i should charge. Some sites will charge you month by month fees

For me it depends on how complicated the logos are.  Also the quantity.  I send most of my art out to have another place vector them.  They charge me x amount to do them but a lot of times I can send three or four logos in one file and they will do all four for that price.  So basically its on a per case basis

Ps so would you charge a up front fee for vector/ design on all orders that needed vector to keep it fair? im not looking to get rich or anything but feel if i have to spend 3+ hrs on vectorizing and design i should charge. Some sites will charge you month by month fees

Sticky, I am in a niche and most of my work comes word of mouth. the work I do is either already a repeat customer from previous pleasant experiences or will hopefully be one after the order so I generally just put in the time on their design and have it on file for the next order. If I was doing one-off work online or some such I would do it differently.  The other thing to consider is after you get some experience under your belt most designs don't take that long. Some are a mother and I can spot them ahead of time and charge for it if I think I need to. Most of the time if they are ordering at least... say... $50 worth of product then I do the vector work for free. I still make sure they know I am throwing in something for them so they understand some else might charge for that otherwise I would lose the benefit of giving it away. If they have a design they want me to copy I make sure my version of their design is basically an exact match. That way there is no question about whether they like the look or not. 

I have had occasion to have someone want 1 shirt or something like that. I do those on a case by case business. Some people are a PIA and nothing makes them content and you can spend literally hours back and forth with emails. Most of the time I try to be pleasant to work with and about half of these people are now regulars and have mellowed out on their picky ways. The other half I have upped my prices and some moved on and the ones who stayed I make enough to feel like it's worth my time putting up with a PIA. 

• Like 1