Macon Innovations

Glass etching help

I've been using Armour Etch for a while now but some times it is such a pain....So I just ordered a table top blast cabinet and the paasche remote air eraser to help in the etching area....my question is what would be the best media for glass and maybe some sources for a good deal....

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Aluminum Oxide, 180 - 220 grit, a little coarse for the Pasche air eraser, Silicon Carbide is good too, but a little pricey for me. . Cheapest AO I've found, is 50# bucket, at Tractor Supply.

I found a local recycler who crushes porcelain down and sells it to the paint booth people. half the cost of the AO and works fine on glass. It's a little weak for super tough jobs like rocks though. 

I like the results I get with 120 AO. Never found any at local stores but it can be found online at reasonable prices. Often times eBay is actually the cheapest.

And you can run the 120 grit in an eraser, or a full size gun.....Note I food buy a full table top cabinet that I will be using the air eraser indoor of just to catch my abrasive bit I could use the supplied gun also

I think once you use the gun that comes with the cabinet you will switch over to it rather than mess with the air eraser. I have a pressure pot but also bought a tabletop from HF and it's so easy to use I just use it for everything now. The pressure pot is more work and time to get set up every time where I can just throw the pieces in the cabinet and grab the siphon gun and hit them almost instantly. It recycles the media so you just pull the trigger. 

Wow....Just read my above post......Definitely have to read what I write when using my phone.....In that case I wasted an extra $200 Wildgoose....I bought the small air eraser and the next step up with the larger hopper on top.....For some dumb reason I was thinking I couldn't really use the gun that comes with the cabinet.....No more middle of the night purchases for me.....Of course I can always use them for on site work.....

post-92305-0-75511700-1451952270_thumb.p

post-92305-0-33223700-1451952297_thumb.p

Wow....Just read my above post......Definitely have to read what I write when using my phone.....In that case I wasted an extra $200 Wildgoose....I bought the small air eraser and the next step up with the larger hopper on top.....For some dumb reason I was thinking I couldn't really use the gun that comes with the cabinet.....No more middle of the night purchases for me.....Of course I can always use them for on site work.....

They are probably more precise. The gun in the cabinet is like an Uzi. Spray in the general direction. You just have to be sure you have the rest of the glass protected so you don't bounce media off the walls and hit other parts. 

I can do a basic frost on glass in seconds and a good deep etch in half a minute and deep carving in a minute or two. The people who do the 3D pretty carving probably use something with more precision although I have done some 3D with sectioned vinyl like a leaf where you carve hard on the stem then pull the vinyl off the rest of the leaf and do a regular etch. 

Everytime I've tried using sand or black diamond it tears my stencil all to hell. Any ideas? I've even tried dropping the psi. Thought about getting air eraser media at 220 grit or could I try something else?

That is what I use with AO and have not had any problems. Black Diamond is a brand, are you referring to coal slag blast media? If so, that is most likely your problem, sand and coal slag both have a Mohs of about 6, which is about what glass is as well. To get a good etch you need to blast with something harder than what you are trying to etch. You should also try to avoid sand as it can be a serious heath risk if you do not have the proper respiratory equipment.

• Like 1

You should also try to avoid sand as it can be a serious heath risk if you do not have the proper respiratory equipment.

That health risk exists with any time of media when etching glass - glass is made from sand - which means it is also silica based.  Obviously there isn't a lot of it being blasted away, but any time you're not blasting your glass inside a sealed cabinet, you should wear a respirator.  It is cumulative and will build up over time.

The grit is mostly a matter of personal preference. The lower grit will give a more ruff etch look and the high grit will give more of a frost look. I like 120 as it give a good etch that has a bit of a "sparkle" to it. The higher grit will give you an etch closer to what the etching cream looked like, only better. A lot of people like the look of 180 as well. You'll just have to pick one and give it a try and go from there.