Sign in to follow this  
rmtrudeau

Roland PNC 1210 vs. MH Series

Hello,

I'm in the the market for a vinyl cutter to support my wives graphics business, and about to pull the trigger on a MH series cutter (not sure what size yet.)

I just saw a CL ad online in my area for a Roland PNC 1210 cutter. A quick Google search has led me to believe that these are pretty ancient. They want $400. Just wanted to see what the brain trust here thinks.

Also, we are quite adept with AI, but I realize I would need some cutting software to go along with the Roland. Not sure which way to tackle that.

Thanks!!!

Ryan

In the long run, you will be happier with the UScutter SC or the Laser Pointer11.  Too many problems with the MH,cutters.  Very limited on memory, static problems, It is the bottom of the barrel cutter..

Laserpointer11 is on sale right now.

http://www.uscutter.com/31inch-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutter

But if you can afford it, step up to a cutter with a servo motor,, much more accurate and very quiet.

Yes the PNC-1210 is over 20 years old however they are built much better than any budget or low end value cutter such as the MH or SC and the other value cutters out there.

You would be taking a risk of course purchasing a 20 year old cutter, replacement parts will likely not be available any longer for them should you need them. 

Also you most likely won't be able to run the cutter on any software newer than Windows XP, and the cutter will not have USB ports so you would need to connect via parallel or serial.

Just something to keep in mind.

If you can see the cutter in person before purchase and it doesn't look "beat up" and also make some test cuts to make sure it cuts properly and also isn't making any weird noises I would offer around $250-300 max for the machine.

Well that pretty much narrows it down big time for me. For someone starting out in vinyl is the ability to contour cut that big of a deal? Just trying to think of applications off the top of my head.

I feel our main customer base will want vinyl vehicle / office decals but we want to grow as well!

Also for just starting out cutting do I need the starter packs on the site? Am I better off just buying a roll of white vinyl and application paper and going to town for a while? Any recommendations?

The Laserpoint sales price certainly intrigues me.

Good decision.

When you're up and running, come on by and start a thread about your impressions and how you like it.

By the way, the software that comes with it (Vinyl Master CUT) is pretty cool.

While you're waiting for the machine to arrive, take a moment & download the trial version (go to the FutureCorp. website) and fool around with it.