BigTonyOfDC

Can you use a USB extension cable with SignBlazer?

Hey everyone,

I have about a 12 foot USB cable connected from my computer to my US Cutter MH741, and it works like a charm. I needed a longer cable to be able to move the cutter to its own, permanent location, so I bought a 10 foot usb extension cable. Now, when I plug that in, and the cutter into that, the computer doesn't recognize the cutter.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to use the extension cable? Thanks.

Did more searching and figured it out... total length of both cables is too long, need to use a powered USB Hub or an active repeater cable. Luckily, I have a powered USB hub, plugged it in there and it works!

• Like 1

I did the same thing with my titan 2 lol . i run a 10 foot usb over my door jamb down to a usb powered 4 port hub i got from best buy, and then extended it  to my laptop and it works like a charm as well..

I ran a 50 foot, (15m http://amzn.to/1ShMwMC,)  usb repeater cable connected to a powered 10 port usb hub, down through the floor into the basement, then back up through the floor into another room, connected on that end to another powered 7 port hub.  So it can be done.  I have three printers and a memory card adapter on the end.

One thing I have ran into with Windows is each hub or repeating cable in the chain adds to a limit.  When this limit is reached Windows will complain about too many root hubs or something like that and it won't go any further.  

Another option for long USB runs, there is a device that will convert USB to a cat-5/cat-6 cable and allow you to run nearly 200', then convert back from cat-5/cat-6 to standard USB. And if you need to go even further, you can get one that converts to fiber and run nearly 1500'.