keithj0nes

Vinyl pulling up while cutting

Hi guys,

I am having a problem where the vinyl is pulling up around the corners of what I'm cutting on my Titan 3. Sharp corners on the computer are now rounded on the vinyl as well. This is a design that I've been doing for over a year with no problems on the same vinyl and it has recently started with the corners that end up completely crappy.

Current settings -

Blade - 30 deg (45 deg blade pulls up way worse)

Speed - 60 mm/s

Force - 42g

The attached design is a Space Needle with roots. One is the final product, the other is pre-weeded, where you can best see the main problem.

The size in the attached image is 6.5 inches tall - I used to be able to cut it at 4 inches tall and looked incredibel, but not able to do that anymore without a whole root pulling up and sticking to another part of the vinyl.

Hopefully this makes sense. Any ideas to help out would be highly appreciated!

post-93034-0-66044200-1450243847_thumb.j

post-93034-0-11394500-1450243864_thumb.j

are you using the absolute least amount of blade exposure necessary for the cut?
have you examined the blade holder for bits of vinyl stuck in there and removed any adhesive?
have you tried adding a drop of lightweight oil (3 in 1, reel or sewing machine oils) in the blade holder so the blade spins freely?

• Like 1

Usually that will happen when cutting too deep and/or cutting too fast, or if the blade offset setting is way off.

You said that your current speed setting is @ 60 mm/s  sounds pretty fast to me when cutting an image that small and with fine detail.

I have a Titan 2 

• Check your blade length in the holder - less is more
  • Check your blade offset in the software - I have mine at .45
  • Check your pressure - I run mine at 27

hope i can ask this since it was brought up..

I have a Titan 2 

• Check your blade length in the holder - less is more
  • Check your blade offset in the software - I have mine at .45
  • Check your pressure - I run mine at 27

Hey Busterbay.did you have to change your blade offset due to the same issue? i only have that issue sometimes and mine is set at factory setting of .30mm . i didnt understand what that setting was for or the other one called "over cut" but its its at factory setting of 1.0mm.  should i play with it or? i dont want to mess it up lol.. Any info would be awesome.Thank you

hope i can ask this since it was brought up..

Hey Busterbay.did you have to change your blade offset due to the same issue? i only have that issue sometimes and mine is set at factory setting of .30mm . i didnt understand what that setting was for or the other one called "over cut" but its its at factory setting of 1.0mm.  should i play with it or? i dont want to mess it up lol.. Any info would be awesome.Thank you

understanding what the settings do is the first step to troubleshooting problems

post-2742-0-22745300-1451715155_thumb.jp

• Like 2

have you examined the blade holder for bits of vinyl stuck in there and removed any adhesive?

have you tried adding a drop of lightweight oil (3 in 1, reel or sewing machine oils) in the blade holder so the blade spins freely?

That is a procedure that probably many of us never do --- removing the blade holder, taking it apart and checking for debris (and adding the sewing machine oil drop).

If that blade ain't spinning freely inside the bearing, then you're going to have issues.

Holy smokes, I totally forgot about this post.

I took advice on here and slowed down the speed to about 24 mm/s. It definitely cuts a lot better, but corners are still lifting and not sharp. When doing letters, there is a little lip on nearly every corner.

I've made sure the blade holder is clean, and that the blade exposure is at a minimum.

dakotagrafx, the image you posted is pretty helpful in seeing how the offset works. Having the offset at .22 seems to be the best for not having the lip on the corner, but it is creating a rounded corner (still somewhat lifted).