Sign in to follow this  
cherise88

Best heat press

Does anyone use a heat press for tshirts, can koozies or any other items ?? Any suggestions on a good heat press ? Also what is a good vinyl to use and what other supplies needed .... someone recommended something to put over the shirts as they are pressed so they don't discolor ??

title of the thread ask for the "best" and it was between that and the knight swinger in my best estimation - 

Sorry ... I should have said good or decent heat press ... I had no idea that they went to 2k.. what kind of vinyl do you use??

actually for a "good starter press" I would look at this one as it had over the center pressure adjustment like the big boys use = but I don't have any experience with the usc presses personally

http://www.uscutter.com/Auto-Opening-Clamshell-Heat-Press-Plus-Siser-Starter-Kit

That's a pretty good starter press as is the swing out that looks the same. I used my swing press from USCutter for a couple solid years and while it isn't high quality it was sufficient to get my feet wet and save up money to buy my Fusion. The Fusion or Geo Knight presses are the Cadillac models. I am totally loving my Fusion and I smile every time I swap out the platen for my 6" x 20" sleeve platen and thread a hoodie by the neck to do a shoulder or arm decal. Takes like literally 30 seconds or less to be swapped and pressing. I used to have to use a press pillow and monkey around trying to get it in the right place and figure out how to get the rest of the hoodie to lay there without messing something up or creasing bad. The Fusion rocks for the professional that is for sure but at near the 2K range you need to have some business plans to afford it.  

• Like 2

I am going to go with that heat press.. thanks ! Now the question is what is the easiest way to line things up?? How do you get ur design on the shirt the same place all the time .. and get a Teflon cover as I was told... you need one for the top and bottom ?? And going to go with sister easy weed... anything else I need :huh:?

A teflon cover for the lower platen is a good idea. Not totally necessary but definitely helps the garment slide on and off and keeps the opposite side from sticking if you flip the shirt and press on the back. For a cover sheet the most economical is just a piece of parchment paper like you would use to bake cookies. You can often get hundreds of presses out of a sheet before they start turning brown and crisp. 

the BEST line up tool is the Laser Alignment Tool from Stahl's but it costs more than that press you are buying. On the cheap I like to use a clear craft ruler 5" or 6" wide with the 1/4" lines. You can get your shirt on the lower platen straight by either looking for the natural crease the builders use (not always there and not always straight) or create a crease by folding the shirt in half vertically and pressing for a few seconds then line up that crease in the center of your platen or just use it to gauge perpendicular with the see-through ruler and you can place your vinyl pretty close from that. Most common graphics are about 3" down from the collar and left chest (also known as a crest print) is usually centered approximately below the point where the collar meets the top of the shoulder (also about 3" down to the top of the design). You have to gain an experienced eye and move these around for about every shirt but that will come with time and experience. 

A pair of sharp point tweezers will help you weed small letters. Weeding easy weed is amazingly easy like the name implies. Great stuff and absolutely my first choice. I use a lot of the stretch variety to. Especially on long life garments or stretchy material. 

• Like 1

I also crease the HTV slightly(non sticky side) at the top and bottom and cut the corners off making "v" reference points that I line up with the shirt center crease.

• Like 3

ok... i am going to look for another heat press... shipping was $40.00 on the one listed above... anyone ever bought anything off amazon?? What features shall i look for...and what exactly does clamshell mean vs a regular heat press .. or just another name ?? amazon had a similar heat press for 229 with free shipping but not a clamshell..?? anyways going searching again for a heat press..

look for the over the center platen pressure adjustment - look for a company that will be able to support the press if there is problems - my first press I found out it had a bad segment about a year after I bought it and had to replace the controller - a lot of chinese presses you cannot get parts for if there is a problem.  stay away from presses with a single tube handle (weaker design).  check for reviews from experienced users - many many cheaper presses do not have even heat across the platen and will have cool spots that will affect how your vinyl adheres over the long term - again a good reason the check the seller out before you buy - if you get a press with cool spots you will be responsible in most cases to pay the shipping back to get a good one.   a lot of cheap presses have rear pressure adjustment and that tube handle.   research is your friend

• Like 1

ok... i am going to look for another heat press... shipping was $40.00 on the one listed above... anyone ever bought anything off amazon?? What features shall i look for...and what exactly does clamshell mean vs a regular heat press .. or just another name ?? amazon had a similar heat press for 229 with free shipping but not a clamshell..?? anyways going searching again for a heat press..

$40 is the cost of doing business.   That's actually a steal because the press weights alot.   Remember nothing is free.  If they are offering free shipping than it's being covered in the cost of the heat press. THAT means it's a really cheap press and we all know you get what you pay for.  

Really sorry our suggested heat presses don't fit within your budget.  I'd suggest you save alittle more and use the experiance you've found on this forum to get a piece of equipment you'll be happy with from a company you can trust. 

• Like 2

Based on your question about what a clam shell press is I have the impression you have not done much homework. Take the weekend and a cup of Java and do some searching on the subject. Also look for swing away press and the. Then over center pressure adjustment and Clam shell vs Swing away.  You will learn the deference and have a better understanding of what each one does compared to the other. Watch some video and read, read, read, read. Read articles by users who rant or rave and why. You are in danger of becoming one of those people we see on here who blow some cash on a machine that isn't what they needed. Heat presses are very much like cutters, more money may not necessarily mean better but cheapest almost always means junk. You DO get what you pay for at least to some degree as mentioned by several previous posts. 

• Like 5

Bought the heat press today from us cutters. I have the best customer service and products the last 2 years or so... I place an order about every 3 months so I hope it all works out .. bought the htv easy weed... some experimenting to do when it all comes in.. watched and researched but it's always different when you have to do or hands on the first few times... kinda excited for it all...

Cherise88, I started out like yourself, although I bought a ebay special 15X 15. It worked great for siser easyweed, but the issue I ran into was when I wanted to use screen printed transfers, The press was very inconsistent. I don't know a lot about the USC presses although they look nice. I would recommend starting with that and looking at eventually upgrading as you grow to a hotronix or similar. I just bought a 16X 16 Hotronix auto clam, its a Cadillac compared to what I had, the fusion is super as well. I just got a smoking deal on mine, has a lot of bells and whistles that a beginner doesn't have to have. Good luck and watch out its VERY addicting!!

I still have a 15 x 15 INSTA model 715 w/ Teflon sheet, works great (air operated) Very negotiable !!!!