rossmarc

Size or Function

Hi Im new to the vinyl cutting and am looking for a low price cutter.  I was looking at the MH and SC series from US Cutters.  Right now both the 28" MH and 25" SC are the same price.  Which would you guy recommend getting.  The MH comes with a starter kit which includes 5 colors of vinyl while the SC just comes with the starter kit that has 2 colors of vinyl.  Should I go for the SC cutter that has contour cutting or get the larger MH?

I actually have used both.

The ideal situation is to go for the ON SALE $350 LaserPoint2, 31" with stand, and add the media catch-basket (accessory item) and don't get Greenstar vinyl, just order the 12-pack starter rolls of Oracal 651 ($200, and you'll make that money back really quickly as you get going)

As for "contour cutting" -- -you'll unlikely ever be called upon to try it.

In my humble opinion, the LP2 for that price is probably the best Christmas gift you will ever get.

http://www.uscutter.com/31inch-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutter

• Like 1

Yep Slice nailed it. If you are set on one of those two go with the SC. There is a substantial performance jump at each level down there in the barrel.

• Like 1

I have not come across vinyl larger than 24" but under 28" so there is not much benefit in getting a 28" model vs. a 25".

• Like 2

I might be able to round up the extra for the Laserpoint II but what all will I need to add to it to be able to use it?  Like I said Im new at this.  What all will I need to go with it and how am I going to make money with it like Slice says it will pay for it self.  i had only thought about doing home projects.  Any info on items, where to get supplies cheap, and how to make this into a small business to make money would be greatly appreciated

rossmarc posts ---  "what all will I need to add to it to be able to use it?"

Tools. (knives, scissors, ruler, weeding pick, masking tape)

Application/transfer tape.

A work surface.

The software that comes with this cutter, VinylMaster, is a nice program.

Not too steep a learning curve.

Money/income?

Lots of different opportunities to find paying jobs.

At the minimum, you might run into people who want you to add lettering to their work truck.

By the way, darcshadow is correct.

The "throat" of the unit may be slightly bigger, but it's still not enough to feed a 30" roll.

The LP2 will allow that size roll, even though you'll most likely not jump up to that width until you get more experience.

Of course, the 31" machine also takes up more space in your room!

I dont have $600 + to get a top notch machine and a wife who keeps me on a budget  Id have to have a way to prove to here the value of such a machine.  Also as being completely new to vinyl  I think the budget model is where Im going to have to get.  What about this I found on ebay from USCutters  Now it comes down to the 34" MH with supplies or the 25" SC without

The LP2 is $350  (plus shipping).

That MH unit you linked to on eBay is $300 (plus shipping).

(those supplies are basically stuff with limited actual value)

1x Sure Cuts A Lot Pro - Design & Cut Software   -----  [ The VinylMaster program is infinitely more worthwhile. Infinitely. ]

5x rolls Greenstar vinyl, each 24" x 5 ft. Colors: Black, White, Real Red, Green, Canary Yellow

[ so much has been written here in the Forums about Greenstar --  and 5 feet is nothing ]

2x sheets 12" x 24" magnetic blanks  [ worth about $10. ]
2x 100 ft transfer tape 6" roll classic  [ 6" is really narrow -- don't forget, you have 24" material to deal with ]
2x 2'x4' banners - white [ good to practice on, anyway ]
3x Vinyl Cutting Blades  [included with all cutters standard in the box ]
1x Hobby knife [an xacto knife, available at WalMart for $4 ]
1x Squeegee [ an entire pack of 20 is $10. on the USC website ]

Without ANY question, you should get the LP2.

Add the $15 for the media basket.

If you cannot order proper consumable supplies at this point, I highly suggest you wait, save up some money and then get into vinyl cutting when you can afford it.

You can tell your wife I said so.

I just placed an order for 2 FULL rolls of vinyl and a roll of app tape (all 24") and the cost was $225.

On the next job that comes in the door, I'll try to make the entire amount back in one shot.

I just placed an order for 2 FULL 100 yard rolls of vinyl and a roll of app tape (all 24") and the cost was $225.

On the next job that comes in the door, I'll try to make the entire amount back in one shot.

Where do you order supplies and what type of app tape do you use?

The standard for R.T.A decals is   length + width (inches) divide by 2.   (RTA is Ready To Apply --  a finished decal with app tape).

i.e. --   12" x 16" /2  = $14.

As for supplies, just go to USCUTTER.COM

They have it all.

I would avoid the MH. Nothing but a problem machine. The SC seems to have a few less issues and the LP2 even less. ALL of these are still very budget minded machines that are really designed for semi-serious work rather than commercial production work however myself and a lot of the others on here started out with the budget machines and were soon making money. It's actually almost ridiculous how easy it is to pay the machine off from a few sales. There are niche markets here and there and there are some that you might think are niche and are actually losing battles. For instance there are some (including on this forum) who can make a good go of it online and seem to do well. I looked at that market and decided I wasn't interested in setting up an online storefront and dealing with the out of state or out of country traffic and shipping. I actually also bought a heat press with my initial purchase so we could cut cool vinyl decals to make for my own kids. I now do 95% apparel work with HTV and have since upgraded both my cutter and my heat press. It exploded into a small side business that makes real money. You may not have aspirations like that but it's not too hard to make a few cool window decals and had them out to a few people you know and soon they are calling you back wanting more and willing to pay. 

• Like 2

I was just looking to make a few stickers for friends and family and for my wife's crafting.  I just figured for the same price I could get a machine better than a cricket or silhouette.  If I could make money on the side that would be awesome but Im not looking to become a business.  If for some reason it happens great

I second Wildgoose-  avoid the MH series.. just take a look at the posted problems on this site. connection issues, quality issues...

I was just looking to make a few stickers for friends and family and for my wife's crafting.  I just figured for the same price I could get a machine better than a cricket or silhouette.  If I could make money on the side that would be awesome but Im not looking to become a business.  If for some reason it happens great

Thats how it starts.  I wanted my machine (started with the SC, great budget machine! and now have 3 cutters) so I could do stuff for myself mainly and some friends.  In less than a year it exploded.  I was fortunate enough to be introduced to one key contact that made it all happen for me.  I am now basically full time out of my home and busier than I want to be.

Did you know you can make custom T shirts with a cutter?  Thats right!  All you  need is the proper vinyl, Heat Transfer Vinyl ( available right here on US cutter site) and a heat press!  You will be surprised how many people you can sell shirts too.

This blows.  I just got paid and all the great starter kit deals are gone.  Guess Ill just have to go without

You are not missing much really. They will have another special soon I bet, especially with the end of the year just around the corner. 

• Like 1