thesnowgod

Tapering the size of letters or #s

I've been searching around and I'm lost.  I'm using SCALP 3 and my cutter is a SC USCutter (love it!).

Currently I'm trying to make a 3 digit number that is small on one end and larger on the other to fit a triangulated space.

For example, I have the number 707 that I would like to start at the very edge of the first 7 to be four inches tall and by the time I'm finished at the very rightmost part of the last 7, I would like it to be approximately seven inches tall.   For some reason I can't seem to do this.  I want it to look linear, not one entire number a certain height, then the next a little bigger, so it doesn't looked stepped but like a smooth increasing ramp.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks everyone!

This technique is called Linear Distortion.

I know how to easily and instantly do it within SignBlazer (Manipulate Menu - Distortion feature) --- maybe it's equally simple in SCAL  (well, it SHOULD be).

Download Inkscape (free vector program) and spend some learning time and you will probably find yourself designing in it more and just cutting in SCALP. 

SCALP 3 does not have Distortion....

Meh.

If I was in the position of theSnowGod, I would immediately download and install the SignBlazer program, select the LiYu machine driver, and use the Distortion feature and be happy.

Download Inkscape (free vector program) and spend some learning time and you will probably find yourself designing in it more and just cutting in SCALP. 

Can you provide the details of the process to achieve the distortion he requires?

I did it in two seconds in SignBlazer.

I failed to find the feature in Inkscape after searching menus, looking for buttons, and even the Help menu produced THIS result (which I don't even understand) -

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Text-Flow.html.

Can you provide the details of the process to achieve the distortion he requires?

I did it in two seconds in SignBlazer.

I failed to find the feature in Inkscape after searching menus, looking for buttons, and even the Help menu produced THIS result (which I don't even understand) -

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Text-Flow.html.

I use Illustrator and we typically do an envelope distort. Scarecrow can probably chime in on the step by step method. The point is SCALP is a sucky design program especially the earlier versions and there are other alternatives of which one free one is Inkscape.

I did find the following video that was similar in nature. 

I have never been a fan of the abandonware known as SignBlazer. I DID try it out when I was starting up but the century old looking interface was enough to turn me off right off the bat. I think it's about time to let that old horse die but I know you Slice will continue to laud it's glory for years to come. <Just dogging you big guy>  ;D

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and assistance everyone!   I'm downloading Inkscape now and will try it out again.   I was hoping it was something easy like dragging one end to resize it or something like that.   :D  I'll use Wildgoose's video for reference.   I tried Inkscape once before a few months ago but found it was a lot harder to get used to than SCAL.   Looks like I need to step it up and get learning if I want my work to reflect it.  

Thanks for the replies and assistance everyone!   I'm downloading Inkscape now and will try it out again.   I was hoping it was something easy like dragging one end to resize it or something like that.   :D  I'll use Wildgoose's video for reference.   I tried Inkscape once before a few months ago but found it was a lot harder to get used to than SCAL.   Looks like I need to step it up and get learning if I want my work to reflect it.  

There is a definite learning curve to any program you use. Most of us who are used to the bigger more robust programs have found SCALP lacking so my theory is why invest a bunch of time into a crappy program. Like polishing a turd.  Make better use of your initial learning curve because it's all new anyway. At some point down the road anyone who is serious about the business will need to go far beyond SCALP. If for home/craft use only then maybe the turd is good enough. Even Inkscape is clunky compared to other programs like AI, Corel, VMaster or Flexi but at least it's free open source and a good place to start with a limited budget.