Dawn's Design

Yeti Mug

I put vinyl on yeti's, wine glasses, coolers all kinds of stuff all the time... just warn hand wash only.... I have vinyl thats been on a bubba keg for years....

I am doing basic etching. I am no artist. when you start worrying about depth of cut I think that is a different level.

Remote air eraser by Paasche. this is a great piece of equipment.

Moved on to a bigger Paasche, Once again the up grade was well worth it.

Finally bought a cabinet, only used it a few times but seems to work great, still trying to work out what will be the best gun. I am using the gun that came with the cabinet (cheap cabinet HF) seems to work ok. Working on the vacuum/dust collector system. I have a small dust collector I was not using and in the process of setting that up with my blast cabinet. To many CFM but I found a quick and easy way to lower it. I will try and get some pics in the next few days of the set-up.

post-21228-0-75579200-1450104279_thumb.j

post-21228-0-89715500-1450104400_thumb.j

Ive been installing full wraps on Yeti Ramblers for customers. Looks great and with the right vinyl will last quite awhile. 

• Like 2

thanks for the file Louis & Clarke. I spent a little time with my prog trying to get one close but for some reason wouldn't do right. User error I am sure. Will be using this to etch on a cup for brother in law.

As far as vinyling Yeti's. I have done a few. The people came back for more after having them a while so I am assuming all is well with holdup on them. I used 651. But I do like the look of etch on the alum cups.

I am doing basic etching. I am no artist. when you start worrying about depth of cut I think that is a different level.

Remote air eraser by Paasche. this is a great piece of equipment.

Moved on to a bigger Paasche, Once again the up grade was well worth it.

Finally bought a cabinet, only used it a few times but seems to work great, still trying to work out what will be the best gun. I am using the gun that came with the cabinet (cheap cabinet HF) seems to work ok. Working on the vacuum/dust collector system. I have a small dust collector I was not using and in the process of setting that up with my blast cabinet. To many CFM but I found a quick and easy way to lower it. I will try and get some pics in the next few days of the set-up.

Sweet!  So what is the difference between the pen style with the extra tank vs the bigger gun with the tank on top?  I am going to order one of those tonight!  by looking at the little remote canister, what is to stop someone from making their own with a slightly larger container?  Say a 1 gallon size?

I've been looking at the larger Paasche LAC#3.  My only concern with it is that the large container on top might be a pain to maneuver in my blast cabinet.  For now, the little harbor freight air eraser is doing the job.  The more I use it, the wider the spray pattern is becoming, probably due to the fact that the A/O is widening the tip.  I prefer it now to when it was new.

Getting someone to hydro dip a yeti around here will run you $25

Wish it was that cheap around here.. Its $50 & up!

• Like 2

Here is my set up... I plugged the hole in the back with some PVC fittings I had. I just use the air intake to feed the hose in the cabinet.

A piece of T-shirt where the dust collector connects the blast cabinet cuts down on some of the airflow.

post-21228-0-39022500-1450209529_thumb.j

post-21228-0-41373100-1450209542_thumb.j

post-21228-0-50376800-1450209554_thumb.j

post-21228-0-83331800-1450209569_thumb.j

post-21228-0-43868200-1450209582_thumb.j

• Like 3

I need a better bucket for my dust collection. Mine caves in when on. Not totally but just the sides suck in. Still works but i know adjustments are necessary but don't know what. One thing would be a better bucket and not the Lowes bucket.

So, I bought the pasche set up with the remote quart canister.  I put in my AO 220 and no go.  Is this product not fine enough?  It won't blow it through.  Is that what your using or are you using something different?

Well, I just checked Pasche's web page and it says this unit is compatible with 220 AO.  For some reason, when I push the button to etch, I get air coming out from the air hose on the pen/gun.  It's not pushing the AO out of the canister.  Any suggestions?

Yep I'm using 220AO. Don't over-preassure the quart tank.

Any questions give me a call (pm me)

Louis

I turned my pressure way down before I hook it up.  Toned it down to 40psi.  I then went back to use the air erasure to get these orders out for Christmas and it fell off my work table a broke the little hopper off.  I then had to drive 2 hours to a harbor freight to pick up another trusty air eraser.  ugh..... what a day.  Once I get the orders out I will play with the pasche and see if I can figure it out......

Where are you guys getting your tumblers or just paying retail for them? I used the black diamond dust on one today and did fine till vinyl lifted and i didnt notice it in time. Same stuff I did glass etching with. Worked pretty good. But wondering if something else would work better

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-fine-blasting-abrasives?cm_vc=-10005

On 12/11/2015 at 4:40 PM, xpaperman said:

I know exactly how you feel!  I was the same way.  I found some small stainless coffee cups at the dollar store (for a dollar!)  to experiment with the etch and color.  Came out good so I then moved to the yeti!  They look ok too with out the color.  I have done a few but once I added the rub and buff everyone wants color.  Wish they had a bigger color selection.

I also bought a small hydro dip kit (some of yall may remember that thread)  as I see on the auction site they sell for 80 bucks dipped.  I have not had the time to experiment with it yet.  Just too busy.  Plus who knows, once I get all the etching done and introduce the dipped..... they may all come back and reorder!  Will try and get to the dipping after the first of the year.

Also, the etching (for a few customers) is kinda like tattooing!  They come, get a small one, pay, then come back... can you add this too?  I have someone who has come back 4 times already to add something else.  Paying the full rate each time!

I am using the air eraser with the 220 grit AO.  Blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight.  Have sold tons of etched mugs but now people are requesting color.  I am afraid the rub and buff would wear off.  My understanding is that it never truly hardens.  Do you add a clear coat or something?  I have used Rub N Buff on other projects and like you I wish they had more colors, but it has always been easy to use.   

The rub n buff will come off.  There are 2 key factors that I have found and I pass it on to my customers.  First, make sure you have a good quality etch!  It holds better to the etch itself.  Will rub off the regular stainless pretty easy.  That being said.... make sure you etch all corners etc. really good.  Next is up to the customer..... I tell them the color is not permanent and like anything else will wear over time.  Always hand wash and never "scub" on the etched/colored area.  Just a damp cloth with warm soapy water lightly swiped over the area is all that is needed.

I have several I have done for myself, one has gotten lighter a lot quicker thank another (I think it was just a light etch and not a good deep one) I also have one that still looks like it did day one.

Just my opinion but I do about 100 tumblers (different designs) a year at Christmas and usually another 100 throughout the year.  

I use Oracal 651.  As a test I made one for myself and I have washed it in the dishwasher around 20 times and the vinyl looks like the day I put it on.  I'm sure hand washing them they would stay perfect forever. I use rapid tac also so they are easier to place and in my opinion they stick better.

You can buy directly from Rtic and they are great tumblers.