Primal Decals

scratch disc,virtual ram settings or other settings on a new laptop

Running a lenovo workhorse laptop----Does anyone know what these should be set at to get full performance out of ai?  unless my issue is the file size im importing. I have a new laptop with 16gb ram , a 2gb quadro k620m graphics card with a 1 tb ssd drive that has 760gb free space. So im hoping someone has a clue as to what settings i can change and where to boost Ai to its full potential, i also have my pc set to full performace. The file size it is lagging  on is about 600mb and thats a svg file that consists of 25 letters 3" tall by 43" or so long that has camo masked into the font to make my design. so i think thats why its so large.Thank you in advance everyone.

Virtual ram should only come into play when you run out of main ram.  As you have 16gb of main ram, it shouldn't happen.  It confuses me some as to when Illustrator uses system virtual ram vs it's own scratch disc setting.  I think the scratch disc setting just was a way to move virtual memory to an auxiliary drive that might be faster than what Windows normally uses.

One thing that can go wrong, is that somehow virtual memory is being used when it should not be. I am not sure what could cause this to happen.  Maybe if you have set virtual memory too high someplace, it is kicking on some process to use it when it shouldn't.  I would wonder if lowering it or turning it off in Illustrator would improve things.  I would set the Windows setting to let Windows manage it.  It could be nothing has gone wrong and the performance your getting is already near the top.

A 600mb file in a 16gb ram environment shouldn't be horribly taxing, but miracles shouldn't be expected either.   The program by Sysinternals, (now MS owned,) called Process Explorer could help you figure out where resources are going.

Maybe turning on or off GPU acceleration could help.  https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements.html

Thank you Dcbevins,I will check it out. im just confused that this would lag like this with this system ,its more than enough with everything, guess im just lost .. Thanks bud..

When it starts to lag, open up "Task Manager" and click on the performance tab to see how much memory you are using and what "CPU" usage is. If either of the is extremely high click on the "Processes" tab and lick on the column labels to sort that column to see what is causing the high usage.

When it starts to lag, open up "Task Manager" and click on the performance tab to see how much memory you are using and what "CPU" usage is. If either of the is extremely high click on the "Processes" tab and lick on the column labels to sort that column to see what is causing the high usage.

Ya ive already done that and i dont go over 17% and i disabled all the high use programs that i dont need.. i think its due to the file size of over 600mb file size i think lol. there is alot of masking that was done ..

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know with the older Illustrator programs, they tend to have a much harder time with imported files vs files created by illy.  Especially the bigger ones with a lot of points.

many times when we run into this issue I just end up re-drawing image in my version and things tend to run much smoother.

• Like 1

One thing that might be going on is AI will re-render anytime you make changes so if you have any 3D or sometimes gauzian blur and shadow effects it can bog down. Actual file size may not be the issue rather the work on effects going on might be. Try adding in the effects after all the other work is done? Similar to deselecting the preview option when doing 3D. If you do a massive 3D look it can then be really slow until you expand the look and then you are back to normal. 

• Like 1

One thing that might be going on is AI will re-render anytime you make changes so if you have any 3D or sometimes gauzian blur and shadow effects it can bog down. Actual file size may not be the issue rather the work on effects going on might be. Try adding in the effects after all the other work is done? Similar to deselecting the preview option when doing 3D. If you do a massive 3D look it can then be really slow until you expand the look and then you are back to normal. 

Thanks goose. when i masked all the letters it just made the file so big and took for ever to load etc .so what i did was reset my settings in Vram and scratch disc and so far it is working but i havent opened up that same file since lol...