Sign in to follow this  
TimEdwards888

FC8600 not cutting small stuff properly

thinking if the motor was stopping at a point in the revolution like a missing scan point or bad segment in the motor that would translate into the movement shown and cause the carriage to do that = but it is all a guess at this point

I agree with the others- needs to be inspected- you should not hear such a noise.  I would try and listen to see if its coming from the cutter head itself, or side compartment.

thinking that even if from the motor it will shake the carriage and cause it to make a noise so needs more expert advice from graphtec or the dealer - then let us know so we can add the info to our tool belts

I'll update with more info when I have it! Such a shame as the thing is built like a tank and very quick at cutting which is exactly what I needed. I can live with working around certain designs if the speed is up there and it's cutting as it's supposed to!

• Like 1

now that we have to wait for more info from your dealer - I have a question about tor - have you had any security issues with it?  I see the 15 different servers it has used is all mineweb etc that we have dealt with for years with their spammers, malware - seems to be a hot spot for that stuff - so with all your info going thru their servers have you had any issues - and how long have you used it?  I like learning new things.  I am kind of surprised it has worked that well as we have blocked a lot of servers from them due to the spammers

I think you are right when you say 'that vector' as the Graphtec definitely cuts some stuff better than the Roland. Some designs are much sharper and more detailed, which is why I think this is definitely a software/firmware thing. Typically I would say the Graphtec does the details better, but I was really surprised with this design.. it's a big seller of mine. Would you guys suggest getting the cutter repaired or replaced with regards to the tapping noise? I'm fairly certain it's just one of the wheels is slightly flat on one of the edges, but it took 2 weeks for the machine to get to me from Japan. I'm not too sure what to do here. Just want to be armed before I contact the dealer!

thinking if it was a wheel you would have felt it when you moved it by hand powered off - that is why i am leaning toward a motor or sensor that counts

now that we have to wait for more info from your dealer - I have a question about tor - have you had any security issues with it?  I see the 15 different servers it has used is all mineweb etc that we have dealt with for years with their spammers, malware - seems to be a hot spot for that stuff - so with all your info going thru their servers have you had any issues - and how long have you used it?  I like learning new things.  I am kind of surprised it has worked that well as we have blocked a lot of servers from them due to the spammers

Every now and then it gives me issues yeah with not loading, being blocked etc, it's the same across the net. I'm just paranoid about my privacy after being hacked a few months ago and I don't like running the risk with my business being online-based mostly. I've been using tor for a few months now, it's slower than regular browsing but otherwise the same :)

thinking if it was a wheel you would have felt it when you moved it by hand powered off - that is why i am leaning toward a motor or sensor that counts

I see what you mean yeah.. I haven't pushed it very fast as I didn't want to damage anything and the instructions on the machine say not to push it too fast, but I don't think I felt anything at all. Perhaps the box was dropped somewhere on its journey, it did look a bit messed up when I got it so that's a possibility. I think I'm going to push for a replacement since I don't know exactly what the fault is and I'm well within my rights given that it is clearly faulty. I was absolutely gutted when after building the stand/reading through the instructions for a few hours I turned it on and heard that. Instantly knew something wasn't right. Checked the wheels were free of debris and they were, everything else looked fine.

Dropped it off with the techs earlier and according to them the carriage was 1mm too high and some settings were off in the control panel of the unit... will update with more info when I have it as they say that's what they've found so far..

• Like 1

Right quick update. The company I dealt with sent me to Graphtec's base here assuring me they'd give me a replacement. I got there and they started tinkering with my machine and tried to fix the problem. I was told that the wheels were just 'bedding in' which I don't believe, as by the time the wheels no longer make that sound I'm fairly certain they'll have play in them. They showed some cut outs and they look OK. Should I be looking for a replacement/refund here? The problem with the sound still exists!

personally I wouldn't accept it - return it if they won't exchange it and buy somewhere else with better support.  that is not normal

at that price it should be right - I have never seen one that required break in - even on cheap cutters - much less the top of the line

Just a quick update. I ended up getting a refund for the unit since Graphtec weren't able to fix it and they couldn't replace it without ordering another one in. It possibly got damaged on the way but either way the Roland is definitely the more capable machine when it comes to cutting detail despite the cost being half what the Graphtec is. Again, maybe it was just MY machine, but the Graphtec I had couldn't produce good results for some of the designs I was doing. Strangely for others it was better than the Roland.... but it just wasn't consistent enough and was obviously faulty. Still have no idea what exactly was wrong with it, but I strongly suspect the wheels or the motor as was mentioned!