lablover

I was approached by large company about my product

Time is Money

Right now I have more time than Money so it's a wash.

I'm still thinking of bitting the bullet on this because I hate the tape up after I layout the design on the glass...What a PIA.  doesn't take too long but ugggg  I hate it for some reason. 

I watched a few videos and they seem to blast at 30psi..Seems pretty tame to me.  I blast at 90 psi and that makes just a nice frosting.  I'm trying to find a blast gun like the had in the video..Pretty slick and accurate.

you could just outsource the whole project. if the store is going to order let's say a 1000 mugs and they will pay u 10$ a mug and even if u only make 5$ of each mug that is still good money,especially for really not having to do much but providing the design and get things rolling. U can get what they call a promissory note/contract that u can take to a manufacturer and they will make ur mug for u. them company sends a check to them for the product and a check to u for profit.

"the company sends a check to them for the product and a check to u for profit."

Really? Is that how you believe it works?

Why would this theoretical company even involve YOU to begin with, if they can order direct from the mug manufacturer at the $5. price?

If that works for them then more power to ya. I wouldn't want the customer to know anything about the mug manufacturer, let alone sending them a check for the actual cost of goods. I believe most manufacturers would want 30-50% deposit and the rest on completion of the order. You might be able to get net 30 terms, but that's easier said than done sometimes. A bank might give you an inventory loan if you have a signed purchase order.

they are buying the design from you and you own the rights to it. that is the only reason why a company would go to someone otherwise they could just look at your design and make there own. if it is a big company with a lot of stores and deal with a lot of vendors it will be easier then you think. the hardest part in getting a company to even let you in the door to sell them your design. also if i where you i would box of 1 of the mugs up and mail it to yourself throw the post office. by doing that you pretty much made a legal copyright of your work. the post office is federal prof that that is your design. just do not open it and make sure the date is on it. the other thing you can do is sell them the rights to use your design. I'm sure they work with different manufactures to mass produce other items they have for sale. 

i know that is how it works with art work. i was working on a deal to make puzzles with my art work. 15 different puzzles in 6 different sizes.meaning a 25, 50, 100, 500, 1000 and 2000 piece puzzle for each different painting. the puzzle company is the one that told me about going that route.

here is 1 of the original paintings that where going to be used.

297234_10150294880689686_2152905_n.jpg?o

Read up on the mailing yourself thing, it's a myth that does not hold up against any legal action.

If I were you Lablover I would definitely make sure you have your production ducks all in a row before signing a contract. I have never been in this position but my wife works part time for a lady who distributes a specialty ladies handbag and they signed a deal with the HSN people last year that has been a bit hair raising for them at times due to the required commitments that are in the deal. They MUST have the orders to their door by such and such days after an order regardless of the order size etc... That sounds good and in fact IS good money but the bags are built in China and with manufacturing times and shipping times etc... it has caused some stress. They even have specific pallet sizes and stacking maximums etc.. that have played into the thing. I wouldn't want to talk you out of anything just be sure your eyes are open and maybe hire a lawyer to look over any kind of contract you are signing.