lablover

I was approached by large company about my product

So, it finally happened and I'm over the moon excited...I know..to early to get excited but its exciting non the less...

anyway

One of my SandBlasted beer mug designs just got noticed by a good size company in the shooters community.  They are very well respected by about 99% of the shooting community.

Anyway, its for a sandblasted design I do on a Beer mug.

Some details

The mug I get from the dollar store.  After cutting a template etc I have maybe 1.10 in materials.  I normally sell these to guys at 14-17 dollars.

This Retail outlet wants me to put together a price for them...Gotta say, I'm at a loss.  I know they want a better price than I'm doing now so they can obviously make a profit themselves..

Where in the world do I start !!  I want an attractive price for them but also want to make sure I don't loose money myself.

Honestly I never thought I would be approved with this but it happened and I'm "GEEKED"  

Can anyone set me on the right path.

The good thing is they are also all over any new ideas I have as well...I already have a few in the works.

HELP   :)

I habe to say......Fellin pretty good right now

Side note

Can lets say objects like Beer mugs be done via Laser?  Not sure if thats only a flat surface thing....Looking for Go C advise here  :)

• Like 2

Make sure everything is in writing, and if you feel the need, hire a lawyer to create the proper contracts.

Have you filed your copyright papers yet?

• Like 2

Yep I've lasered alot of the dollar tree beer mugs.   You're looking at a large investment to get into lasers but it can be done.   

Normally, the retail stores, B & M, or online, want to give you about 40 - 50%, of the retail price. And, they want them on time, or else!

Congratulations, you are now on your way to being a wholesaler. What ya gonna do, when they order a thousand?

Normally, the retail stores, B & M, or online, want to give you about 40 - 50%, of the retail price. And, they want them on time, or else!

Congratulations, you are now on your way to being a wholesaler. What ya gonna do, when they order a thousand?

WOW

Get into Lasers....

Yep I've lasered alot of the dollar tree beer mugs.   You're looking at a large investment to get into lasers but it can be done.   

I actually need to get with you about my design on small rock glasses.  I can't cut and weed that small without using a ton of time.

I actually need to get with you about my design on small rock glasses.  I can't cut and weed that small without using a ton of time.

Juts a hint for you. I weed all my glass vinyl stencils after I apply it to the glassware.

• Like 3

Now I don't know, because I don't yet own a laser, but I was told I would be disappointed how a laser doesn't show as well as sandlbast does.  But it has to be nice not to weed any vinyl and place on a turntable and laser away.  Not sure how the handle would come into effect using a turntable and laser.    

Juts a hint for you. I weed all my glass vinyl stencils after I apply it to the glassware.

WOW

I need to give this a try.

Yup, I can see adding Rock glasses to the collection now....

THANKS ARTY!!!

Joe

Look into Rayzist or Ikonics for photo resist. It makes easy work of small detailed designs. You can get a GREAT result with them and if you don't want to buy the stuff to make them yourself you can outsource it to Rayzist and they will make the stencils for you.

• Like 2

Look into Rayzist or Ikonics for photo resist. It makes easy work of small detailed designs. You can get a GREAT result with them and if you don't want to buy the stuff to make them yourself you can outsource it to Rayzist and they will make the stencils for you.

That would definitely speed things up, and would be a lot less initial investment, than a laser. 

Well if you need any help just let me know.     

I'd be more than happy to help.  

• Like 1

That stuff is pretty neat. Very similar to working with capillary film for screenprinting.

http://www.rayzist.com/store/Photoresist_Film.php/Custom_Photomask_Service.php

It is very similar to capillary film and emulsion (my preference) I can get some great detail with it. I invested in the exposure unit but you could build your own very easily. The biggest thing is to have a printer that can print dark enough (I have an all black inkjet and use a RIP software)

• Like 1

I built the exposure unit from a uv nail dryer on ebay and an old scanner - never got around to trying yet years later

post-2742-0-38701500-1449557674_thumb.jp

post-2742-0-18655900-1449557693_thumb.jp

• Like 1

My current pricing retail would not really allow me to use this Rayzist.  Wow, that paper and film aint cheap.  I'm curious how I could raise my price to use this without everyone going nuts.  Rayzist is saying roughly 1.00 per square inch.  My design is 5x5 and I'm getting 15.00 for a mug.  With vinyl that pretty good cause vinyl is cheap.  I'd have to charge 25.00 per mug which I'm sure they would pay but not the Large firm I'm talking about.

I'll tell you what, it sure would save a butt load of time

I wish I would not have looked at it..It sure is the cats A$$  :)

My current pricing retail would not really allow me to use this Rayzist.  Wow, that paper and film aint cheap.  I'm curious how I could raise my price to use this without everyone going nuts.  Rayzist is saying roughly 1.00 per square inch.  My design is 5x5 and I'm getting 15.00 for a mug.  With vinyl that pretty good cause vinyl is cheap.  I'd have to charge 25.00 per mug which I'm sure they would pay but not the Large firm I'm talking about.

remember them or ikonics at the show?  we stopped at their booth

remember them or ikonics at the show?  we stopped at their booth

Yup

And then promptly forgot them the day after...But yea, I wish I would of invested then...

• Like 1

that is why I keep going back - to see the new stuff and remind me of the stuff I forgot about that may be more relevant now to me

looks like this years show I will have to miss as I will be in alaska that week . .. . . .

• Like 1

I know it takes away some of the fun and satisfaction of creating the product, but with a large enough order you might consider subbing out the job. A quick search on the net found a place that will do bulk order (12 or more) pricing of beer mugs for as little as $4.65 a glass. Don't know what shipping would be, but it might be worth looking into, if nothing else as a backup in case you can't fill an order fast enough.

• Like 1

I had an Lectralite setup, 7-8 years ago. Guy I got it from gave me a pack of paper, sheets, whatever ya call it. When I used those sheets, and went to order some more, I sent the thing to ebay. It does real good, as long as you have some project that justifies the material cost. The material seems to be a lot better, than what they had back then.

I found the page where they will make them for you for 12 cents a square inch.

http://rayzist.com/Film/CustomMask.php

that .12 per sq in is a great deal. If you have enough to offset the setup fees this is the way to go. It really does work as well as the videos show!

I found the page where they will make them for you for 12 cents a square inch.

http://rayzist.com/Film/CustomMask.php

I linked to that too. $0.12 a square inch adds up. His design is 5x5 or 25 sq.in., then add in the 1/4" of space around the design. Each one would cost about $3.31.

Maybe play around with the design size to save some $. Time is $ too, so if this saves enough time then it will pay for itself.

Take what the store will sell it for, let's say $15, and divide that by 2. $7.50 will be your wholesale price. If your materials and labor come in at around $3.75 then you're in business.

• Like 1