jskwarek

Best way to cut a roll of vinyl in half

I've got a few 48" rolls of vinyl that I'd like to cut into 2 x 24" rolls. Is there an easy way to split a roll without completely tearing up the vinyl? Or, am I better off pulling off what I want to use and cutting it off the roll?

TIA,

Jason

I have heard of some using a chop saw- but i would use a new fine tooth blade.

The proper way is a roll cutter - you can see them on youtube

• Like 1

ahhhhh, yet another opportunity to post this video of a guy sawing a roll in half ----  Dial 911.

ahhhhh, yet another opportunity to post this video of a guy sawing a roll in half ----  Dial 911.

Every time I see that one I ask myself why is the video 7 minutes long.

Oh man check this out. I actually have the square piece for the other end :)

• Like 1

I was thinking, with my machine it will hold a 48 inch roll, and the media rollers are pretty stout with good bearings.

Maybe if i had an assistant turning the roll, I can cut it with a new knife blade. This pic is a 24" roll

photo_1.jpg

<p>I've cut a few rolls with a miter saw, now issues. just put some blue painters tape around the role where I was cutting. Trick is to not go too fast, or too slow. I don't recall what the tooth count of the blade I was using, but it was the standard blade I use for cutting wood, maybe a 60 tooth.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The two problems the guy in the video above had, was he cut way slower than necessary, and didn't have a large enough saw to cut all the way through. Not being able to go all the way through isn't too big of a deal, but it does mean you'll have to rotate the roll and cut a second time and you will likely not get an exact match so the edge of the vinyl will not be perfect but it'll be good enough, you never use the very edge anyway.</p>

Need to rig a stop for the end of the roll so the roll will go back to the same position after spinning it to get the other half.

• Like 1

A big pipe cutter with a sharp blade.

Do you mean one of these? just big enough for a 4 inch roll? These are awesome for copper pipe.

RGD_632-97787.jpg

Do you mean one of these? just big enough for a 4 inch roll? These are awesome for copper pipe.

RGD_632-97787.jpg

Yes, go slow so the core doesn't collapse or put something inside it that is solid.

• Like 1

I cut mines with a hand saw. It was not that hard either took about 20 minutes and I would do it again. I had got a free 48" roll from 3m of there reflector roll and thats how i cut mines. They debt me a 5yrd roll and now it 10yrd of 24"

I have been thinking, one day I'm gonna get a fine tooth 12 inch miter saw blade, re-ground, like a smooth blade in a meat slicer. Maybe would work, maybe not Hard to find, a saw blade sharpener dude, around here anymore.

Well I just got a 30 inch roll of laminate - Oraguard 215 - ten yards. UScutter's Signsupplycloeout was selling- for 10.99!! I dont need 50 yards.

Anyways, I need it cut into 13 inch sections so I can laminate my thermal prints-- really could use something!!! I may go to home depot and PU the finest tooth Diablo blade they have for my miter saw.  Then try cutting off an inch and see how it looks.

OR just get a long razor blade and cut it on my media rollers.

On 12/5/2015 at 10:21 AM, jskwarek said:

I've got a few 48" rolls of vinyl that I'd like to cut into 2 x 24" rolls. Is there an easy way to split a roll without completely tearing up the vinyl? Or, am I better off pulling off what I want to use and cutting it off the roll?

TIA,

Jason

the thing they put in the end is called a mecanical pipe plug i just did one the other night and works great. Will try to post video next time i cut a roll down should be in a day or so

And this is how I do it with a good 100 kg tensioned Hacksaw.

20200528_132951.jpg

20200528_133014.jpg

20200528_133238.jpg

20200528_133545.jpg

20200528_133351.jpg

20200528_133117.jpg

20200528_135959.jpg

• Like 1

I had a 54" roll that I just ripped through with an 18v battery-powered circular saw. Had to rotate it to get through (blade diameter not enough to reach all the way).  End result = 30" and 24" rolls.

Makes a mess of vinyl shavings !!!

_CSB1231Final_1327781269.jpg