kennyc2389

creating a 3d drop shadow outline

Hopefully my topic title was to some degree specific of what I'm trying to do. Here is an exact image of what I'm looking to create. I did this once before but actually sat their with the pen tool and completely traced the chrome and black. Then created registration dots to form the two after cutting, weeding etc. so pretty much would like to now how to do this from scratch. thanks for any help!post-96580-0-16183000-1449103431_thumb.j

create your text, convert it to outlines.. duplicate that layer two times so you now have a total of 3 layers.. leave the top layer alone (lock the layer, this will be the chrome text)..  then on the middle layer, apply a stroke (black) and then convert the stroke to an outline and merge all the points on the middle layer. now goto the bottom layer (the black dropshadow) and place that how you want it.. Now you need to merge all points from the bottom and middle layer together. You'll be left with the top layer (chrome text) and the bottom layer (black stroke + dropshadow merged together)

it's pretty simple, just awkward to explain

• Like 1

I don't think that was awkward. 

Kenny, keep in mind that with AI there are usually 2 or 3 ways to get to the same look. Constricted's explanation was one fairly simple way to get there and remember (that sometimes is the toughest part). If I were going his route I would probably have made the lowest (drop shadow) also the same size as the outlined one but that's just me. 

I prefer to use a path offset to get the outline (personal preference) but to do it right you have other steps so it's not necessarily the shorter route. You'd have to be sure your text was outlines then SHOULD convert the text run to a compound path (Comm+8 or Ctrl+8 on pc) then go to Object>path>offset path and make an offset path however big you want the outline look to be. I just find the other method of using the stroke to get there can more often have weird points develop from acute angles. You just have a little more control with the path offset and still have the options to round corners if you want that look and assuming you started with a compound shape then it will create the outline behind the original and it will be all welded(merged, untied or whatever term you want to use) together and ready to go. After creating the path you can then proceed to make another copy and paste it back behind the front as a drop shadow and Unite (weld) it together. I like to use the Unite option rather than Merge. Merge has it's place but will make separate unfilled objects in any open hole which will cause you fits when cutting. 

• Like 1

Well he did post this in the "Adobe Illustrator" section  LOL

haha  Im an idiot, I was exhausted when i seen the post and didnt pay attention to that..Free laugh at me today ,Thanks lo;l

I can't thank you guys enough! I tried both ways and was pleased with the results. Both of your explanations were amazing, thank you again!

• Like 1