skener

Disco Ball

Hi Guys and Girls, I know how to make the disco ball or glitter ball, however when I send to signcut the lines which make up the squares in the ball are just really a cut line, what I need is to be able to do is weed the lines out and leave the squares, what am I missing?  I Tried outline thinking it might help but nope it did not any ideas ?

Thanks John.

ball2.svg

You are posting svg files, but it is in the Corel Draw section.  I mention only to check that it is Draw we are talking about and not something else like Inkscape since you did not post cdr files.  Maybe your just exporting as svg as the forum restricts some attachments.

I imported it into Draw and when I look at the disco ball it is all outlines,(stroke).  Maybe that is your problem right there and the cutting software is ignoring the outline, (stroke,) which is reasonable in some ways.

Fist thing I did was convert all the outlines to curves, (path.)  I noticed at the 4 poles of the ball, there are gaps.  I changed those a bit.  Some places still look a bit uneven, but not enough to really tell or matter in cutting I think.

After I converted the stroke to curves, I used the smart fill tool and clicked on each section.  This gives you a different type of cutting path.  If you just reversed what you weed you could get the same result.  But here is what I have as an svg and cdr.  I ignored the giant R.  Maybe this is enough for you to figure out your own workflow.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34207516/dball.cdr

dball.svg

• Like 2

Hi and thankyou so much for your reply's. The way I did the ball was to start with the grid 8x8 squares then I converted this to curves, then used the envelope tool with the circular preset, and then outlined it, I think it might have been the envelope tool that made 4 parts to the circle? I suppose there may be a cleaner way to do it, but I have always struggled to find how to do a "thick line cut" if you know what I mean?

Still have not figured it out lol. Thanks David for your help I just posted in svg because I saved it to try and cut it in signcut, that's when I realised that it had just put a "cut" line throughout.

DAVE just opened your file absolutely perfect THANKYOU VERY MUCH exactly what I was wanting to achieve, much appreciated!!

Thanks again,

John

I'm not familiar with the software you are using, but there should be a wire frame view, or something similarly named. That view will show you exactly what the plotter will cut. You need to try and get your head away from designing in terms of lines, and think in terms of shapes and paths, that will help. When you draw a line with your program, you see the thick line you want, but the plotter only sees the single line. To get a thick line you need convert your thick line to a path as described by dc up above.

• Like 1