Sign in to follow this  
KimmieM

Vinyl fail

Have had my Siser Easyweed Chocolate fail on 2 shirts. One is a customer. Not sure why. I am very new to vinyl. It has happened on a Comfort Colors shirt and a Graniamal shirt from Walmart. I heat pressed them both double the time. It seems like it has only happened with the roll of chocolate. Any help is appreciated.

have you checked the accuracy of the temp on your press with an ir thermometer?    could be off - also some shirts sold in retail stores are sprayed with a sizing that can interfere with htv.

• Like 1

Yep Dakota nailed it. Most coming failure is from lack of temperature. We like to see the texture of the fabric show up in the vinyl as a good measure of proper adhesion. 

• Like 1

Thank you both. Learning curves :). On shirts that are from Walmart that have sizing sprayed on them, do these shirts need to be washed before applying HTV?

QUOTE>"I heat pressed them both double the time."

That could easily be the problem right there. You cooked off some of the adhesive.

More is not always Bettter.

As they mentioned, make sure your press is accurate.

Then press at the recommended time, temperature, and pressure.

• Like 1

Thank you both. Learning curves :). On shirts that are from Walmart that have sizing sprayed on them, do these shirts need to be washed before applying HTV?

Make sure to preheat the shirt before applying HTV it will help remove moisture and some of the sizing. Like dokata I prefer wholesalers shirts over local store buy

• Like 1

I too prefer wholesale shirts but have done more wally world shirts than I can count and never had a failure that I know of. Only failures I have had were from lack of pressure right beside a collar (before I bought a pressing pillow) and a few when I first got my press and didn't know the heat was way too cool. 

• Like 2

Some shirts nowadays come with a type of anti microbial coating that can effect vinyl adhesion.  It doesn't sound like your problem though with the brand you listed.  Some times you can get a bad batch of vinyl.  Wrong temp, pressure, time though are top contenders.  Hot or cold spots on the press can happen.

According to the reccomandation sheet heat set at 310* press 10-15 sec. I've been doing monogramming and embroidery for 15 years. Learned at my sewing shop, with vinyl there is not a store to help out. Thank goodness for forums:)

According to the reccomandation sheet heat set at 310* press 10-15 sec. I've been doing monogramming and embroidery for 15 years. Learned at my sewing shop, with vinyl there is not a store to help out. Thank goodness for forums:)

Good people here. Things can change with different vinyl brads and types too.  Each one is a little different and some are superior to others.

On a side note, I am just barely getting into embroidery. Like literally getting my machine tonight and a trainer coming tomorrow. I bought a used SWF 1501C <edit actually got a E-T1501 larger unit> to get into the game. Pretty stoked but it's a little intimidating. 

• Like 1