Primal Decals

will this printer work for vinyl?

I cant seem to locate the specs if it will work on vinyl or not. Im given the ok to buy a printer but i want to stick around 24-40" or so. I dont want to wrap the world lol..  or is there something else better than this? --->   http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesStylusPro79009900/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes     .

I have plenty of money on hand ,just want to be smart about it.i want to try and stay around $5,000 or less if possible. I just landed a huge permanent deal from a construction company for all their fleet trucks,machinery, office buildings and so on.And they are willing to stay away from print or if i get a printer they will go that route as well..but either way im in....

so you are still looking at water based ink     brickwall.gif

no need to comment again here

lol ill get there someday... i will look at signs 101. dam ink. didnt know it was water  based.. guess i missed it. thnx

I cant seem to locate the specs if it will work on vinyl or not. Im given the ok to buy a printer but i want to stick around 24-40" or so. I dont want to wrap the world lol..  or is there something else better than this? --->   http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesStylusPro79009900/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes     .

I have plenty of money on hand ,just want to be smart about it.i want to try and stay around $5,000 or less if possible. I just landed a huge permanent deal from a construction company for all their fleet trucks,machinery, office buildings and so on.And they are willing to stay away from print or if i get a printer they will go that route as well..but either way im in....

If you just landed a job "that big" then spend some money and do it right, or else you'll lose that job just as fast as you got it.

• Like 1

I have the 7900. It's made for indoor prints. You would get amazing looking photos, canvas, wall art, etc.

They make vinyl and banner material that works with it, but you won't get as long of an outdoor life as you would with solvent printing. 6-12 months without laminate and 12+ months with laminate. You won't be wrapping any vehicles with a water based printer.

• Like 1

Or you might want to consider a thermal printer / cutter, they don't require all the maintenance that the solvent printers do, which of course is nice, but the thermal ribbons for thermal printers aren't cheap.

Just something to consider...

Here is a used one I came across on ebay,..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summa-DC4SX-Thermal-Printer-Vinyl-Cutter-/131555072241?hash=item1ea14b18f1:g:k5IAAOSwjVVVocqI

• Like 1

If you just landed a job "that big" then spend some money and do it right, or else you'll lose that job just as fast as you got it.

I wont lose it. they just gave me either option. print or layered..So i figured i would look around or take suggestions from those who no more than i do about it..

Thanks guys for the options. I will check it out... i have money to buy any printer i want. just trying to keep some cash lol so i chose $5,000 .

did you ask about that one on signs101 too - they are the printer experts

I didn't think you would really do it - ok going to take my popcorn to the show  . . . gotta watch 2 channels now  :o

• Like 1

For what you're wanting to do, the Summa printers are just the ticket. For what they do, which is making decals, there's no better machine.

I didn't think you would really do it - ok going to take my popcorn to the show  . . . gotta watch 2 channels now  :o

Hows that Popcorn and movie Dakotagrafx ,sorry to bore ya lol  :rolleyes:

For what you're wanting to do, the Summa printers are just the ticket. For what they do, which is making decals, there's no better machine.

What summa are you talking about Knucklehead,,Ill see if i can find what your talking about..Thanks everyone..Glad to see some ideas within my realm..

wow - the old timers are either sleeping or drastically changed - even a couple of years ago you would have thought someone was spreading chum in the water just asking

• Like 2

wow - the old timers are either sleeping or drastically changed - even a couple of years ago you would have thought someone was spreading chum in the water just asking

Agree, was watching that thread and surprised it stayed civil.

• Like 2

What summa are you talking about Knucklehead,,Ill see if i can find what your talking about..Thanks everyone..Glad to see some ideas within my realm..

Thermal printers, DC4, DC5, I think are the models. 24, and 48-50 inch?

congrats Primal - think you are the first newer person to come out of there unscathed - "they all go in the same  . . .  they all come out different"

• Like 2

congrats Primal - think you are the first newer person to come out of there unscated - "they all go in the same  . . .  they all come out different"

haha . im not scared lol.. I didnt know you were joking about posting over there, Newbie move i guess lol.. 1 for the newbie :ph34r:

this is the price im looking for for what i want to do.....Someone can slap me if you want ,but yes still looking for that special printer and hoping to get lucky.. I still cant get myself to understand this area of vinyl printing ,so im hoping to end this fiasco on everyone, i found this tho. this is what  http://www.graphicsone.com/large-format-printers/printers/mutoh-valuejet-626-eco-solvent-desktop-printer.html 

post-88251-0-08235100-1457044448_thumb.j

there ya go - one in your range - research it on the other forums to get an idea of longevity and how well it prints - bet it will do good for a couple of years if you do the maint - but look at places like signs101 and see how many of the people doing it for any length of time chose for printers.  it is a great place to read and learn.  IMHO make sure to make the money back on the mutoh in the first 2 years so it doesn't owe you anything.  if your business plan supports that then it may be the right choice for you.  Personally I have never looked to see what media is available in 24" - I know that 54" is more plentiful than my 30" but I can get a lot more selection than the 20"
just buy it and keep us informed

• Like 1

there ya go - one in your range - research it on the other forums to get an idea of longevity and how well it prints - bet it will do good for a couple of years if you do the maint - but look at places like signs101 and see how many of the people doing it for any length of time chose for printers.  it is a great place to read and learn.  IMHO make sure to make the money back on the mutoh in the first 2 years so it doesn't owe you anything.  if your business plan supports that then it may be the right choice for you.  Personally I have never looked to see what media is available in 24" - I know that 54" is more plentiful than my 30" but I can get a lot more selection than the 20"

just buy it and keep us informed

Thank you Dakotagrafx. i wanted to start small around a certain size that my cutter does  and not go blow a ton of money until i know its going to work for me in the end. and if it doesnt then i have a backup plan for it.but going and buying a huge printer for $10,000 just didnt seem a smart thing to do.. Thanks again and i will keep everyone informed on this and research a little more as well. But it looks like this might be the one .. Thank you buddy.

sometimes the more expensive one is the cheapest per sq ft in the end.    10 years from now which one will you still be able to get parts for and likely to still be running - value is the in the eye of the buyer

a little over 2 years ago my wifes job got eliminated locally - I bought her a used vw beetle because of reading how economical they were to drive and the tires on that car was 1/4 the cost of the ones for her dodge journey - after putting $300 every month into the beetle for 20 months I sold it at a great loss and she is back to driving the journey - saving us a lot of money since the beetle left.  value sometimes is defined differently.  I just needed that reminder - a hard one but it got the message thru to me

• Like 1