JPvinyl

Designing for tumblers and glassware

I know you have to distort the text line a bit so it stays straight when applying to a curved surface. is there a way to measure what you are applying to so I can accurately cut it in one try? I have been wasting a lot of vinyl during trial and error. I have a large tin bucket that is taller at the top and a plastic water bottle with straight sides but still a cylinder. I'm using flexi 8 and need a way to accurately distort the text so it will be level when applied rather than slope up or down.

I'm sure there is a quick and dirty method for figuring this out, but I like to do the math and draw a template to work with.  From a couple of measurements you can draw a 2D template of your 3D shape.

When the diameter of the top ring of a shape is larger than the bottom ring, the 3D shape you have is called a frustum of a cone.  Basically a cone with the pointed end chopped off.  Like you have already realized, you have to curve your text to compensate for the tapered shape of your object, but another thing to consider is the distance from the bottom you want to place your text.  The arc of the text will be different depending on how far up the side you want to place your decal.

Here is a good site that helps you draw a 2D frustum template. http://craig-russell.co.uk/demos/cone_calculator/.  You'll have to do some converting between millimeters and inches.  Instead of entering the height of your object into "length C", enter the distance up from the bottom that you want your text.