Sign in to follow this  
flcbrks

Oracal 651 questions

I have made some plastic tumblers, using oracal 651 vinyl. But it is starting to lift. Is there anything that I can use to seal the vinyl, or what can i put on the tumblers to prevent the letters from coming off.

Did you first clean with alcohol

Second did you put it in the Dishwasher

and last i have made them and the vinyl is still there from 2 years ago.

• Like 1

I prep with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and distilled water. Don't prep with anything that contains bleach or ammonia.

Tell your customer to hand wash gently with lukewarm water only. No scrubbing. Wait 72 hours before first wash.

• Like 1

Depends on the plastic too. Some plastics will craze (surface crack) when alcohol is used. 

• Like 2

Maybe I should start using grain alcohol and distilled water. That way I can drink it if it cracks the plastic. I'll use it one way or another.

• Like 2

I prep with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and distilled water. Don't prep with anything that contains bleach or ammonia.

Tell your customer to hand wash gently with lukewarm water only. No scrubbing. Wait 72 hours before first wash.

I will try that mixture on my next one, is this good to use on wine glasses as well. BTW y'all are awesome!!! B)

You might want to try a "Sealitpen" which is a vinyl edge sealer. I'm not sure how the tumblers would react to it but since they are handled so much it might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

With any drinkware I would wash them first, to remove any oils, and use isopropyl alcohol for a final cleaning. This especially holds true for glassware. The shot glasses that I use to buy in bulk were pretty oily right out of the box.

• Like 1