Dakotagrafx

using a plotter to cut vinyl is NOT DIE CUTTING

if you want to invest in die cutting for large qty then get a die cut set up - otherwise you are cutting vinyl on a plotter!

Die cutting

diecut1.gif

Just like one of those things that grate like those that don't know a clip from a magazine!

• Like 5

I saw a few vinyl die cutting machines but they cut with a heated die instead of sharp blades. You still have to weed and mask like normal but the output is excellent. The obvious downside is you need an expensive custom die for each design.

• Like 2

if you want to invest in die cutting for large qty then get a die cut set up - otherwise you are cutting vinyl on a plotter!

Die cutting

diecut1.gif

Just like one of those things that grate like those that don't know a clip from a magazine!

A clip goes in your hair and a magazine you read??? LOL sorry had too

• Like 2

A clip goes in your hair and a magazine you read??? LOL sorry had too

I would rather hear that than the other wrong usage - humor is great - ignorance not so much

• Like 1

Well if u want to get technical....our plotter/cutter is really just a new technological version of that die cutter....

Both CUT the design out...

The die cutter you show has one metal die per design, while our computer stores our designs to send to the plotter to cut.

I mean this is Mail vs Email...both contain a letter/text/images, being sent from a sender to the recipient.  The delivery goes from an actual person delivering to an electronic program via the internet delivering it.

I think we all have our pet peeves.

I often write things on my hand for short term use and when people give me a bad time about it I tell them it's my Palm Pilot. 

• Like 3

Well if u want to get technical....our plotter/cutter is really just a new technological version of that die cutter....

Both CUT the design out...

The die cutter you show has one metal die per design, while our computer stores our designs to send to the plotter to cut.

I mean this is Mail vs Email...both contain a letter/text/images, being sent from a sender to the recipient.  The delivery goes from an actual person delivering to an electronic program via the internet delivering it.

Die cutting involves using a die  to do the cutting - 

• Like 3

The plotter is just an intelligent die cutter.  :huh:  B)

Thats what i said....lol.

It uses a sharp metal device to cut out the design.

lol.

• Like 1

But it doesn't cut with a die . . . Curious do you call your printer a printing press? Is your semi auto pistol a revolver?

• Like 1

Lol.

I just use the term cuz its simple for the customer to understand...

Its about the end product, not the actual process.

Another one is when people say "printing" when they are talking about cut vinyl.

• Like 1

Another one is when people say "printing" when they are talking about cut vinyl.

True that. Can't count how many times ive had to explain the difference.

Just sayin......

THANK YOU -  got a speech from a state police trainer 30 years ago and have never made that mistake again

• Like 1

So here is where I have to chime in. I'm a Millwright. A cutter/plotter is in no way a die cutter. You've heard the term tool and die.A die cutter has an opposite side in the same shape as the stamping part. Thats how every automobile plant works. For that matter any stamping maching.

• Like 1

those are the same people that say they are coming out with their pistol and come out with a revolver   ;D

I wish I could make those military challenge coins. Now if you can do them, there's some money to be made.

• Like 1