Sign in to follow this  
3barefoot

Adding Fonts to SCALP

I'm sure this is dumb question and probably a easy one to answer, but here I go anyways.... Is there a easy way to add the fonts I download to SCALP other then adding them one by one every time I do a new design?

Thanks in advance!! :D

• Like 1

I don't know for sure. I always design in corel and move it over to SCALP. I'll try some this afternoon and see what I can come up with.

i always install my fonts into my font folder within the windows system and signblazer sees them i think scalp will do the same

I have a Mac so I open up my front when I download them and Ai,PS and Scalp see's all them.

i always install my fonts into my font folder within the windows system and signblazer sees them i think scalp will do the same

^Correct

Fonts are usually installed to a windows system folder.  If every program were to store fonts individually, this would take up enormous amounts of space on your hard drive.  To solve this, any program that uses fonts is able see and use them out of that central folder.  If you're curious where this is, open file explorer and search your PC for "fonts."  It should be the first folder it returns in the search.

When you download a font to install, it will most likely be a file with the .TTF extension.  This stands for True Type Font.  It's the most commonly used font extension out there.  Double click to open it.  You should now see a window pop up with a preview of the font.  It usually says something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. 1234567890," and will show various sizes.  Click on "Install" in the upper left corner of the window.  Follow whatever prompts it gives you to complete the install, and you are good to go.

This is how Windows works.  I have no idea how Mac handles this, but if I had to guess, it would be the same or similar.

There are other types of font extensions and specialized programs out there that work differently, but 99% of the time this will be the way to install fonts.

• Like 1

^Correct

Fonts are usually installed to a windows system folder.  If every program were to store fonts individually, this would take up enormous amounts of space on your hard drive.  To solve this, any program that uses fonts is able see and use them out of that central folder.  If you're curious where this is, open file explorer and search your PC for "fonts."  It should be the first folder it returns in the search.

When you download a font to install, it will most likely be a file with the .TTF extension.  This stands for True Type Font.  It's the most commonly used font extension out there.  Double click to open it.  You should now see a window pop up with a preview of the font.  It usually says something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. 1234567890," and will show various sizes.  Click on "Install" in the upper left corner of the window.  Follow whatever prompts it gives you to complete the install, and you are good to go.

This is how Windows works.  I have no idea how Mac handles this, but if I had to guess, it would be the same or similar.

There are other types of font extensions and specialized programs out there that work differently, but 99% of the time this will be the way to install fonts.

Thanks!! This will explain why when I add SCALP to another computer it didn't have half the fonts my newer computer had.

Thanks again everyone. I got to the shop this morning and tried what you have said about adding the fonts to my window fonts and it worked!!!! You all are a life saver!! :thumbsup:  :D

Search here and the web for "Font Manager."  At some point, adding too many fonts to a system starts to slow everything down.  I would say a little slow down over 500, more over 1000, great over 2000.  Font managers vary in abilities.  But all let you preview fonts that sit in a folder and are not actually "installed" on the system.  Some do a dance were they will let you "temporarily" install the font for the session or the moment by installing and removing the font when done.  There are free font managers and premium ones.

If you start to get thousands of fonts, a Font Manager becomes a necessity.

• Like 1

This explains why when I open a project that I have done after loading a font in scalp previously that it would suddenly not be there.  I have always loaded through scalp because I thought it was a one time deal and it actually installed in the windows font folder.  But I guess not.  Thanks for sharing this!

This explains why when I open a project that I have done after loading a font in scalp previously that it would suddenly not be there.  I have always loaded through scalp because I thought it was a one time deal and it actually installed in the windows font folder.  But I guess not.  Thanks for sharing this!

I will tell you that not ALL my fonts I add make it to SCALP. I don't know why, so I have gone back to adding them one by one.  :-\

I will tell you that not ALL my fonts I add make it to SCALP. I don't know why, so I have gone back to adding them one by one.  :-\

Some fonts have glitches or errors that cause them not to show up. I am not font builder but what I have read it's actually a pretty complicated little process to build a good font and not all fonts are built with the same care and attention to detail. 

• Like 1