Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Large format.sublimation.

Anyone doing this? I have people bugging me to get into full shirt sublimation. I looked.I to it and Conde has. System that prints up to 44". Kid do of pricey but they want to order a minimum of 450 shirts per year every year with a potential to up that to 2000 shirts. They have been paying 65 bucks a shirt. Their unhappywith the place they use now. The current place is not local by a lot going shot and there is nothing even close to "local" here.

Was just wondering if anyone could put in their two cents if they are doing it or tried it. I kinda think if I gorder that route I will have to give up most of my current products

I would think you could out source them and be better off.....But that is just my opinion.....I do know if you are trying to sublimate shirts that are already assembled **sewn together** it will be very hard to do it without imperfections.....Especially if you will be trying to do a full color pattern...

• Like 4

I was looking at the Mutoh that Conde' offers.  They apparently have a package deal with printer, press, software etc.  I saw it on a youtube video.  I called my sales girl (and left a message) she didn't call back yet so I have know idea what all is in the package, how much or anything about warranty and service yet.

I realize there will be some imperfections but I think it will be alright for what I will be doing.

subbing out sounds ok but new toys always sound better!  Plus all the other things you could do with the setup.  Large canvas prints, flags, banners.... all of which I have been approached about doing.

maybe it will just be to overpriced and I will just say nah.....

• Like 1

It's going to be nearly impossible to get full (100% coverage) on shirts already sewn together - the armpit region, the tops of the shoulders, etc. are going to get little to no coverage, and/or experience overlaps.   As long as your designs account for that, you might be OK.

Are the shirts they're getting now, a printed, already made shirt, or a print-cut-sew type? I think that would be the biggest wrench, in the pricing structure.

No, they are full custom.  The shirts are covered in sponsors.  Every year the sponsors change some.  That is why they get new shirts every year.  The shirts are paid for from sponsorship money, that is why they don't mind paying the higher price.  Plus this type of shirt is what their sport wears.  I am sure there are imperfections but it doesn't really matter, it adds to the uniqueness of the shirt.  The shirts are crazy abstract anyway.

I do some shirts for a volleyball club. They buy one set of fancy sublimated and then I do a clean plain one for them. They never liked the full shirt sublimation ones that were post assembly sublimated because of the white spots in the small folds along the hems and under the arms etc... They now but them through Rox and I can tell just looking at them that they sub then sew them. Pretty fancy. 

If you're going to get into it you will be having to design the work too so plan on some time and possibly money invested in that side so you have unique offerings. Good luck with it if you pull the trigger.