Sign in to follow this  
skener

What size for canvas printing?

Hi the wife has asked me to make her a canvas print of all our animals to hang on the wall. I have a hp designjet 800 24 inch printer, i want to make it as big as a1 but i'm a bit lost as what size stretcher bars i would need? Do you normally get them around 2 inches smaller than the size of you canvas? Did a load of googling but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Have been asked to do a few for other relatives but want to offer a sort of standard maximum size so just have to buy/order 2 different sizes of stretcher bars, any help much appreciated.

Thanks  John

I have a broke designjet I have to fix and then I can use it. My Mimaki takes 54" but it prints 52". I'm not sure if it's the same way though.

Thanks Tyler, i have been reading up on "bleed" and stuff but its the stretcher bar thing cant get my head around it thinking  should get 22inch for the width which would give me 2 inches to "wrap" around the frame and 2 inches less for the length or would you leave more?

Stick with 16"x20" and 20"x30". Get a support brace for 20"x30". Most canvas printed on aqueous printers will need to be varnished prior to stretching.

If you're going to get into it you'll want some various tools too, such as canvas pliers, electric staple gun, etc.

I did a few for friends and family, but it's more time consuming than one would think. It sure beats the quality that you get from most online places though.

I used this canvas

http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/141/

& this varnish (in matte)

http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/160/

I still have 2 rolls of the 24"x40' canvas and about 3/4 of a gallon of varnish. PM me if you want to buy it.

post-6882-0-49078700-1446770775_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-60959600-1446770779_thumb.jp

post-6882-0-77934600-1446770785_thumb.jp

Another thing you could do is print on photo paper, canvas, or an adhesive material and stick it to a premade frame. I don't remember what they are called. There is a board with with peel and stick adhesive that you attach a photo to and it glues into the frame. A lot easier than a stretched canvas and still looks pretty nice.

This one I printed on PhotoTex and wrapped it around the board before gluing it into the frame.

post-6882-0-06832100-1446771079_thumb.jp

Great work there pshawny, and thanks for the advice,i would definitely have bought them off you however i'm in the uk so think the delivery might be a tad high!! Thanks for the offer though. I saw some where you can get printable adhesive vinyl for inkjets so may just try some of that, see how it comes out as  one of my customers wants some stickers of there logo printing toput around the shop.

Thanks again

John.