signmaker

What is the best vinyl to use on a cheap nylon shade tent

Does anyone have the magic bullet for proper vinyl to use on a cheap nylon shade tent like people use at swap meets?
the tent is ten foot and the sign overall length is 8 foot.
oracal seems to stick but really not that good, might be ok.
it would be difficult to use heat applied vinyl and possible melt the material..
send me some much needed information..
thanks signmaker

The best way would be to screen print. 

Now!!! that isn't vinly. and that would also be a long screen for a small shop, plus cost setup etc.

thanks

Now!!! that isn't vinly. and that would also be a long screen for a small shop, plus cost setup etc.

thanks

Be creative make a reverse decal and use it as stencil 

• Like 2

Be creative make a reverse decal and use it as stencil 

buster, I'm trying to take the easy way out... I'm also a sign writer from many years gone by.. I guess I could grab a #20 quill and letter on awning.. one of these days i'm going to post in introductions all the many years of hand lettering signs and all my travels.. 74 and still going strong.. thanks for your help and letting me rib you a bit...

the signmaker

• Like 3

buster, I'm trying to take the easy way out... I'm also a sign writer from many years gone by.. I guess I could grab a #20 quill and letter on awning.. one of these days i'm going to post in introductions all the many years of hand lettering signs and all my travels.. 74 and still going strong.. thanks for your help and letting me rib you a bit...

the signmaker

many of the young uns could learn a lot from the old sign painters - used to study them a bit and have lots of respect for the lost art

• Like 1

many of the young uns could learn a lot from the old sign painters - used to study them a bit and have lots of respect for the lost art

hand lettering is a lost art.... the free flowing sign layout is gone by the way side.. computer generated sign layouts are just computer generated and they sure look like it .. no personality .. letter coverage to sign background ratio is totaly wrong.. when I returned to sign business, I wanted to use a computer to make my free hand creations. it is difficult but I'm getting there..

nothing like pulling up to a 10 X 40 road sign with copy in your hand, chalk line, pencil and 36inch yard stick. and the only computer is in your head... there is so many tricks that I even learned from old boomer sign painters that lived in the early 1900's....... its funny how I still recall and use a lot of them everyday..

when I get old ( 74 now ) I will get on one of these forums and devote time to help all young start up people in all phases of sign business...

• Like 4

From your avatar pic you look like the most interesting man in the world.  Just ribbing you back USCutter style.... Do you happen to drink dos equis?

• Like 1

From your avatar pic you look like the most interesting man in the world.  Just ribbing you back USCutter style.... Do you happen to drink dos equis?

No goose I don't..

I did make a statement a few days ago ( was my birthday ) that if I had not drank 2 fifths of gin along with 2 cases of beer, 365 days a year and almost forgot smoke 3 paks of cigarettes. .... I don't believe I would have lived this long.

I stll work 12 to 16 hours a day. but after drinking and smoking for over 50 years, I quit both. cold turkey no patches no AA just figured it was time to stop before some doctor tells me I have to...by the way speaking of doctors, I have none, never been in a hospital, no broken bones,basicaly no problems at all.. ( sure hope I don't fall over dead befor I post this ) in real good health

hey guys, I'm going today try some of the old screen prep techniques to see if oracal will adhere to this tent, I think it will .

let you know how it turns out.

the signmaker

• Like 2

Ha ha! Well good luck on the tent. Nylon is tough to work with and even if you could drag it through a heat press in sections you would have to use special HTV to adhere to the nylon. Could be done though using Siser Extra. 

Ha ha! Well good luck on the tent. Nylon is tough to work with and even if you could drag it through a heat press in sections you would have to use special HTV to adhere to the nylon. Could be done though using Siser Extra. 

you're correct and it is for a friend and of course free.. I do use ez-weed on t-shirts.. good product..

as for as 'the most interesting man in the world, I guess this is what you meant.

somebody has to do this kind of work... why not me.