Trillion

Are some tiny hang-nails in 0s, Gs, Es etc normal?

Hello, new to cutting and new to the forum! :)

Bought myself a Graphtec 6000-40 and I've noticed that I'm getting some very small hang nails on some of the smaller letting, but only where there is a circular shape.

I'm using the stock 45 degree blade and I've played around with the settings a bit, but the only way I can completely get rid of them is to make 2 passes of whatever I'm cutting. It's almost as though the blade JUST stops short of where it's supposed to. Quality wise, everything is superb and I'm very happy. Just wanted to know if this is normal or not. I've read of several other people with the Graphtec 6000 cutters having this happen.

2 passes fixes the hang nail problem but the quality of the work overall is very slightly diminished as far as I can tell.

Can anyone confirm this is ok? I'm working with lettering around about 7mm in diametre. Thanks!

Might be speed.

5 cm = 1.968504 inch.

Try a 60 degree blade. (thats all I use)

mark-s

Thanks for the reply - it does cut very well otherwise, it's just the rings and 0s gs etc that it sometimes has problems with. It's not hugely noticeable but it is there, however when I make 2 passes it's perfect aside from a slight overall degradation of quality. It seems to me like it's not completely reaching the start point of the cut on the rings, hence it's fine with 2 passes.

Anyone with a Graphtec CE-6000 have any ideas? Does your cutter do this?

I actually have a 60 degree blade on the way so will give it a go when it arrives. Do you know what the offset should be for 60 degrees?

Cheers!

i heard this before. Seems to be nodes etc not making a complete object etc. go to preview mode and see if you notice anything or post the ffile for us to see it in person

I've noticed it on mine with certain fonts, most are so small it's not noticeable once applied. I run my CE6K at 55cm/s though, time is money...

What software are you using?

What are your settings?

Using Graphtec studio - completely new to this. Learned a bit about different blades and the various options for the machine though. All settings are stock currently aside from the cutting force - I have it at 8, the speed which I have at 5cm/s and the step size which I have at 0.1mm. Since you've noticed it on yours too, would you say it's simply a characteristic of the machine? I'm not sure what exactly to expect from a machine like this since I have no experience!

Just like to add that even when I trace the image in Graphtec Studio the result is still the same.. which makes me think it isn't the font. The test cuts are perfect, anything straight is absolutely great, and some Os are fine, others aren't, even if they're the same font, size and everything. 

edit* here's the file http://www.filedropper.com/tswest15x7 (graphtec studio file) or the AI file - http://www.filedropper.com/tswest

Anyone with a Graphtec CE-6000 have any ideas? Does your cutter do this?

I use to have the same issue with my old Laserpoint cutter. Not anymore with the CE6000. I think everyone should start with a value cutter and work up to a Graphtec. You'll appreciate the Graphtec more that way.

I use to have the same issue with my old Laserpoint cutter. Not anymore with the CE6000. I think everyone should start with a value cutter and work up to a Graphtec. You'll appreciate the Graphtec more that way.

If possible could you try some small Os and gs in Arial font at around 6-7mm? That's where this thing shows up the most for me.

The issue seems quite prevalent now.. I've tried everything and it won't go away so I think I'll be getting a refund. I'm sure going from a cheap cutter to an expensive one will show a big difference, but I'd expect a £700 cutter to work consistently at least!

Using Graphtec studio - completely new to this. Learned a bit about different blades and the various options for the machine though. All settings are stock currently aside from the cutting force - I have it at 8, the speed which I have at 5cm/s and the step size which I have at 0.1mm. Since you've noticed it on yours too, would you say it's simply a characteristic of the machine? I'm not sure what exactly to expect from a machine like this since I have no experience!

It's not a characteristic of the machine, when mine does it is because of the font. Circles U's etc cut just fine. 

I'd do a hard reset on your machine. Turn power off, hold down the "up" arrow button (^) and turn the power on while holding the button.  NOVRAM will begin and just follow the queues.

And try cutting it again, if that doesn't work call customer service at Graphtec.

Does your software have an over cut option? I've seen reference to some software on here, basically when cutting a path it instructs the machine to go slightly past the start point when it comes around so that there is a bit of an overlap on the start/stop point.

If possible could you try some small Os and gs in Arial font at around 6-7mm? That's where this thing shows up the most for me.

a, e, o, and g all cut fine in Arial at 0.25" for me. With my old value cutter I was careful on which direction I weeded the insides of those letters. I would try to spot the pigtails and weed with it instead of against it, so not to tear. An xacto knife was needed sometimes to correct parts that the cutter messed up on.

I physically went in person to Graphtec UK today since they're close to me. We tested the machine and it's working normally according to them. They had another unit set up and trialled the same fonts at the same sizes and it produced EXACTLY the same results as my unit... the only way I can get around having the tiny hang nails is doing 2 passes.. so that's what I'll do I think!

Does your software have an over cut option? I've seen reference to some software on here, basically when cutting a path it instructs the machine to go slightly past the start point when it comes around so that there is a bit of an overlap on the start/stop point.

Yep it does, however it seems to draw in a straight line from where it ends rather than following the curvature of the design.. hmmm

It's not a characteristic of the machine, when mine does it is because of the font. Circles U's etc cut just fine. 

I'd do a hard reset on your machine. Turn power off, hold down the "up" arrow button (^) and turn the power on while holding the button.  NOVRAM will begin and just follow the queues.

And try cutting it again, if that doesn't work call customer service at Graphtec.

Done several resets and it produces the same results, thanks though!

a, e, o, and g all cut fine in Arial at 0.25" for me. With my old value cutter I was careful on which direction I weeded the insides of those letters. I would try to spot the pigtails and weed with it instead of against it, so not to tear. An xacto knife was needed sometimes to correct parts that the cutter messed up on.

Thank you for trying this! Without trying to offend, are you absolutely positive there's not even a tiny imperfection in the font? What I'm talking about here is absolutely tiny in all fairness.

Thank you for trying this! Without trying to offend, are you absolutely positive there's not even a tiny imperfection in the font? What I'm talking about here is absolutely tiny in all fairness.

Not to the naked eye. Maybe under a microscope.

Ok guys, I've had a quick look under the cover for the head unit/whatever it's called and I've noticed one of the plastic covers for the bearing has a slight crack in it and is moving slightly when I push the blade up and down. It's the bearings on the shaft near the blade, just hidden by the cover.

Any tips? Should I go back to the shop and get a replacement? I'm not entirely sure how I would go about telling them I took the cover off to find it out.. as it voids the warranty right? Either way it shouldn't be like that.

Put it back together and take it in. Have them remove it or as a last resort remove it in front of them to show the defect. Tell them someone with the same problem recommended looking there which is why you are bringing it back.

I physically went in person to Graphtec UK today since they're close to me. We tested the machine and it's working normally according to them. They had another unit set up and trialled the same fonts at the same sizes and it produced EXACTLY the same results as my unit... the only way I can get around having the tiny hang nails is doing 2 passes.. so that's what I'll do I think!

I've cut a metric crap-ton of vinyl on my Graphtec, and I only see this when there is an issue with a specific font or bad nodes in a design.