02RedWS6TA

Cutting large images in two

Is there an easy way to slice an image in half? Been drawing in inkscape now for a couple years but never had to cut something in two pieces.

Using vinyl master cut if that helps. Have an sc 34 and want to cut a 58" piece. Not sure how to go about it. Short of running a line through it and breaking nodes in half.

Thanks for any help.

Is there a knife tool? or you could use a rectangle and/or use the trim tools in the weld function selection (or what ever it maybe called in your program)

Duplicate the item you want to slice. Leave it directly over top of the original.

Draw a box (or Shape) over the object and position it's edge where you want to slice it.

Duplicate that box (or shape) and slide it over and line up with the box you created it from (where you want to slice).

To avoid confusion,  make all 4 of these objects different colors

Select one of the 'Cut' boxes and (shift click) one of the objects you want to split and then, Path>Difference.

Select the other of the 'Cut' boxes and (shift click) the other object and again, Path>Difference.

You now should have 2 lined-up halves of your original object (in 2 different colors) left.

You may have to go back and forth from Outline view  to Normal View to keep up with it all.

You can overlap the 2 cut boxes an eighth or quarter inch before punching if you want to tile the finished pieces.

This same procedure can be used more surgically with complicated, precise paths as well.

Have a look here for additional pointers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I searched but wasn't sure what key words to use.  Vinyl master cut will tile it for me and I can set overlap.

Never thought about using the difference tool in paths to just slice it in half, that's definitely better than what I was thinking about doing.  Thanks again.

There is also a cut path option that can be used. Just draw a line through your design, select the line and the design then select Cut Path from the Path menu. This method will break the design apart so that's kind of weird. You could also use the division tool, which does about the same thing as the cut path.

Skarekrow's method would be easier/better for a complex design. One step I'd change in his procedures, rather than moving the box after duplicating it, leave it and use the difference tool, and then the intersection tool. That way you don't have to worry about getting your shape lined up exactly.

• Like 1

What darcshadow said about ~not~ moving the box and using the 2 different tools will indeed work but,

As I mentioned, If you are creating a large design and need to cut it down into tileable peices for installation,

you'll want to move the 'Cut' box/shape to create an overlap, which is definitely recommended for tiling.

• Like 1