xpaperman

Hydro Dipping

Anyone actually doing this or tried it yet?  I think I have found a use for it here and think my product will fly off the shelves!

I am going to try and place an order tomorrow for supplies but was wondering if anyone else is doing it and has a good supplier they could suggest.   I am leaning toward "mydipkit"  simply for the fact they are located a little over an hour from here.  There only seems to be a couple suppliers and well, this one is close to home.  If this takes off I can pick up my larger orders and save on shipping!0000

I was also wondering if anyone is doing it in case I need some help or tips etc once I dive in.

I have watched hours and hours of youtube video's on this, wanting to do it.  But have not really found a good reason to do it!  I kinda wish i had the room to try it or the extra $ 

Good Luck!

I printed some for a guy last year. Went over to see the actual process. There's a little bit more to it, than it looks like on the UTube.

• Like 2

I have a friend that actually did it another way just buy putting water in a wash tub sink and the spraying different colors in it and then dipping his project in it slowly. Came out awesome and no issues..

I tried it, it is a lot harder then it looks! I have dipped a lot of things and every item I dipped I had to redip about 3 times to get it halfway decent. What they don't show in the videos is the rinsing process which is when you see all the flaws. Once dipped, everything looks perfect until it is rinse then you can see if you dipped at the correct angle, speed, water is at the correct temp, used the apropriate base coat paint, used the correct amount of activater, had water in your paint gun lines, etc. The only way to make it work as a business you will be looking at about 10k plus for all the right equipment, then after that you need to know how to prep, paint, dip, and clear properly or else the entire product is toast.

• Like 1

I tried it, it is a lot harder then it looks! I have dipped a lot of things and every item I dipped I had to redip about 3 times to get it halfway decent. What they don't show in the videos is the rinsing process which is when you see all the flaws. Once dipped, everything looks perfect until it is rinse then you can see if you dipped at the correct angle, speed, water is at the correct temp, used the apropriate base coat paint, used the correct amount of activater, had water in your paint gun lines, etc. The only way to make it work as a business you will be looking at about 10k plus for all the right equipment, then after that you need to know how to prep, paint, dip, and clear properly or else the entire product is toast.

I really appreciate the detailed info.  It does have me second guessing.  I also realize its a lot of work, from the sanding and prepping, painting, dipping, cleaning and then the clear coating.  All that considered (time wise) plus the cost of the product, It seems it might be hard for me to actually sell in my small town.  I looked on ebay and there are people selling them already and their price is about what I figured..... just seems way to high to resell.  However........... for a kit for less than a hundred bucks........ I still want to give it go...... just because.   LOL

• Like 2

I really appreciate the detailed info.  It does have me second guessing.  I also realize its a lot of work, from the sanding and prepping, painting, dipping, cleaning and then the clear coating.  All that considered (time wise) plus the cost of the product, It seems it might be hard for me to actually sell in my small town.  I looked on ebay and there are people selling them already and their price is about what I figured..... just seems way to high to resell.  However........... for a kit for less than a hundred bucks........ I still want to give it go...... just because.   LOL

Yeah I tried it and figured I would try it out for a few friends and after I did the first one for someone, I threw in the towel.. Extremely difficult to make the end result perfect!

Not to mention, if you want custom (your own) graphics, something other than the stuff they sell on ebay, that material itself, is pretty pricey.

I am good with their designs at this point.  Mainly because down here.... camo sells.  Thats all I need!  Slap camo on anything and the folks in the south buy it up!

• Like 1

Kit came in..... maybe I can find some time in the next week to give it a go.  I have done about all the homework I think I can at this point.  Time to jump in and see what problems I have.  First a trip to the dollar store find some crap to dunk!

• Like 4

Good luck, it can really produce some awesome results, it's a lot of trial and error. As stated above, cannot underestimate the prep, very important or that film will peel off in a heartbeat, different materials need heat, chemicals, some sandblasting, etc, still need base coat of paint. Then activator must be perfect! Too much or too little you are shit! Also, water has to be heated at a specific temp, be careful of humidity, fingerprints, bubbles. . And can we talk about angle of dipping? Geez, can't go too slow or fast, don't want film to stretch. Also, there are films we like better than others. And can't emphasize enough must have proper top coat! But, just like anything else, you get what you put into it. The inconsistency is what kills me! Some things go so smooth, others are like freaking brain surgery.

Whatever we can do to help, please let me know. Don't mean to sound so negative- I just wanted to put out there some of the problems we ran into, things we've learned.

We have been dipping LOTS of yeti tumblers lately, they are all the rage here in Texas! I'll post some pics, really cool results. Like I said earlier, any questions or anything I can do to help, please let me know!

And, if it's possible, use an actual automotive base, and clear, with a actual paint gun, instead of the rattle cans that came with the kit. If not, go with what ya got.

• Like 1

It is vinyl over the hydrographics on the ones above, on some we dip with decal on, then pull it and clear coat it, like the knucklehead cup in this picture.

post-34900-0-82175500-1447127797_thumb.j

• Like 2