02RedWS6TA

First cuts

Wanted to make some window stickers for my shop so what better first test cuts to make. Had to dial it in some on the pressure and blade depth but cutting well now.

10184847745824311810.jpg38780980659604432883.jpg

Need to work on the sparks off the torch for the cutter. My cnc plasma program automatically corrects for cuts that are too small. Little different than what I'm used to.

Hi,   Can I make two quick suggestions to the graphics?

First, the name of the business might look more professional as "J.F. Lew's Fab Shop"  (using upper & lower case lettering).

Also, those plasma cutter handles are somewhat obscure to the general public.

Perhaps go with a welder's helmet, which is more recognizable?

1106613.1.high.jpg

First, the name of the business might look more professional as "J.F. Lew's Fab Shop"  (using upper & lower case lettering).

[img=http://static.ipaustralia.com.au/store3/11/06/1106613.1.high.jpg]

Thanks, the name is just how it sounds basically. There could be a period after J but it's J Flews. Everyone just spells it JFlew's. My only Internet presence is Facebook and that is how my page is spelled out. Www.facebook.com/JFlewsFabShop

I agree on the plasma cutter torches, not many will know what they are. But I mainly operate my cnc table now, not much in the way of welding these days. It's easier to hit go and let it work while I ay on the internet. Thank you though for the comments, I appreciate the thoughts!

1106613.1.high.jpg

I was thinking he could also use different colors in one single decal. Kinda break it up a little.

Did this for my wall. Still struggling with the transfer tape. I have a hard time getting it on smooth. Off to YouTube for some videos.

42006771442704060470.jpg

Did this for my wall. Still struggling with the transfer tape. I have a hard time getting it on smooth. Off to YouTube for some videos.

Looks like you used magnetic north..... LOL

Still struggling with the transfer tape. I have a hard time getting it on smooth.

IF the design is small enough try laying your app tape sticky side up and then place the vinyl down into it with the center touching first in a U shape and squeegee the back of the carrier sheet. It helps a LOT. I usually keep hold of one side while I squeegee the other half then let it down and finish it up. For larger stuff I use a "Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool". Kind of expensive but after a little practice I tape off 24" wide by 8-10ft with no help and no wrinkles. 

• Like 1

Red, are you using a roller or any type of equipment to help apply the tape? I use a roller that keeps the tape off the vinyl until I press it on. Pretty much like this gif... 

Transfer_Tape_Dispenser.gif

I use 24" rolls as well, but haven't gone quite as long as Goose has. I keep it below 4 feet when I can, but have done almost 6 a few times. Mostly it just takes practice, whatever your technique. And like Goose said, placing the decal on the tape, instead of the other way around, with smaller decals is money! 

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. Going to build one of those stands this weekend. I was putting the tape down on the decal. Watched some videos and have some better ideas now.

Since I cant bang a nail straight I bought one from us cutter when they were on sale.  It works great

post-2057-0-59446600-1446678363_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I have the same one as mr300s (Bill) and it's worked great for years.

• Like 1

Since I cant bang a nail straight I bought one from us cutter when they were on sale.  It works great

Using something like this how do you keep the vinyl from floating up with static electricity and sticking to the app tape?

• Like 1

Here is the Big Squeegee in action. I push the roll across most of the time rather than putting it in the holder but it works pretty good either way. You have to be a little careful when doing really long ones so you get it lined up good. I burn several inches at the start of most of them making sure it's played flat because it is possible for it to go wonky on you. I start the roll and push about 6 inches then take a clear ruler and line up along the 6 inch side and align the side of my vinyl so it's all straight and then just push it across. If you are going really long (longer than your workbench) you can just pull up the start end or trim it off and then slide the whole thing down and continue pushing until you get to the end. Best app tape investment I have made and I use it on 80% of my work or more. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wildgoose" data-cid="407061" data-time="1446775293"><p>

Here is the Big Squeegee in action. I push the roll across most of the time rather than putting it in the holder but it works pretty good either way. You have to be a little careful when doing really long ones so you get it lined up good. I burn several inches at the start of most of them making sure it's played flat because it is possible for it to go wonky on you. I start the roll and push about 6 inches then take a clear ruler and line up along the 6 inch side and align the side of my vinyl so it's all straight and then just push it across. If you are going really long (longer than your workbench) you can just pull up the start end or trim it off and then slide the whole thing down and continue pushing until you get to the end. Best app tape investment I have made and I use it on 80% of my work or more. <br />

<br />

<a href='

'>
</a></p></blockquote>

Love my big squeegee. I push as well.

• Like 1

I've got the same roller as Jay & 300. The roller has a lip on one edge to keep it at the end of your workbench, but I must be a little too enthusiastic at times while taping, because I've had to add a couple of clamps as well, so it doesn't tip. 

• Like 1

I've got the same roller as Jay & 300. The roller has a lip on one edge to keep it at the end of your workbench, but I must be a little too enthusiastic at times while taping, because I've had to add a couple of clamps as well, so it doesn't tip. 

Mine is in a permanent location so I just put a screw through the lip to hold it.

Well, I have to amend my previous statement. After just about a year of use, I've worn completely through one of the pins of the roller, rendering this thing useless. Trying to now decide if $60/year is worth it. I've got to say yes, it is, but would love to find something more heavy-duty, so I'm not replacing this thing every year. It appears that the frame is a nice heavy-duty steel, but I always assumed the pins were likewise a little tougher. Luckily I have redundancy built into my workbench, so I'm good to go 'till I get the roller replaced...

Well, I have to amend my previous statement. After just about a year of use, I've worn completely through one of the pins of the roller, rendering this thing useless. Trying to now decide if $60/year is worth it. I've got to say yes, it is, but would love to find something more heavy-duty, so I'm not replacing this thing every year. It appears that the frame is a nice heavy-duty steel, but I always assumed the pins were likewise a little tougher. Luckily I have redundancy built into my workbench, so I'm good to go 'till I get the roller replaced...

Dang how much tape do you use? I've ran mine for several years and it's still going strong.

• Like 1

I wish I had kept track this year, and someone else orders my supplies from USC, so I can't look at invoices to see how many rolls of transfer tape I've ordered, but I've got 21 old transfer tape tubes stacked up in the corner, and I don't know how many I've thrown away... So since I've had the roller, it's very safe to say probably well over 2500 yards of transfer tape has gone on that thing. 

• Like 1

Agreed, "got your money's worth". $60 a year is around a buck fifteen a week;

Chump Change for the amount of time and effort that tool saves my business.

Bonus = they're on sale again at US Cutter with the free roll 12" of transfer tape for (edit) $59 plus shipping.

• Like 1