Sign in to follow this  
aaavinton

First Banner

We've had our plotter about a month. Here is our first banner, a 4 x 20ft. The FIREWORKS letters are 21 in. high and the flags are about 21 inches wide

P4202004.jpg

Its going to be mounted on a steel building. Should we put wind slits in it(and what is the best method for that?) or just mount it with bungee cords?

Oh, and thanks to BannerJohn for his banner contact.  ;)

Wow! You chose a 20 foot banner for a first attempt? That's what I call confidence!

Anyway,if you are going to mount it flat against a building, I couldn't do wind slits. Those are to let wind pass through from behind or in front. If you secure it where there isn't much chance of wind getting up between the banner and the building,you should be ok. Personally, it being a basic generic banner with no phone number on it,I'd screw it to the wall...I've seen banners like that stolen by the competition.

I forgot to say...it looks great! Just curious...on the large letters,did you do one letter at a time or use tape and do several?

HA, I didn't choose it! ;)

It took about 9 hours from design to finish. (And about 40 ft. of vinyl)

That is what I was thinking about the wind slits, too.

As far as stealing it goes, they have a guard 24/7 so no one steals the fireworks and they'd have to climb up there and get it so I don't think that will be an issue.

I forgot to say...it looks great! Just curious...on the large letters,did you do one letter at a time or use tape and do several?

We application taped all the letters together in two seperate lines(24" app. tape), then masking taped them to the banner in the position they were supposed to be in. Then we cut them apart as we went so we were only doing one or two at a time. (We did the W by itself, its HUGE!!)

We had a difficult time doing more than one letter at a time because our table was only 18 in. x 4 ft. (it was our coffee table in the living room!)

We did the "F" and then the flag, the "IR" and then "BU" alternating top and bottom lines until we were done.

Guest fivestar

Lord have mercy, you have ALOT more patience then I have to do that on a table that size.  I did one today, only 3'x5' but I did it right on carpet floor.  Doing it wet you can do it on almost any surface.

seriously? I have a 5x8 work table and I hate doing banners that big on IT. Suggestion...a few saw horses and a sheet of plywood..work outside on nice days.

Now..on banners that big... I make a line for the bottom of the letters. I peel off one letter at a time, spraying application fluid as I go...do each letter without tape,still wet. Squeegie as I go. It sounds like this would take longer but cutting out the taping time,the drying time,etc...it goes really fast. I could lay out a banner that size,one letter at a time,in about an hour. Aso,doing one letter at a time,wet...it dries VERY fast ( a minute or so) and never any bubbles.

I've done an 8x20 banner that way.

Of course, I work by myself and large runs with app tape are impossible for me.

WOW DUDE! Thats BIG!!!! Nice too! Good Job!

Joe

I have heard that SO many times.... ;)

Guest fivestar

While dreaming don't count John.

seriously? I have a 5x8 work table and I hate doing banners that big on IT. Suggestion...a few saw horses and a sheet of plywood..work outside on nice days.

Now..on banners that big... I make a line for the bottom of the letters. I peel off one letter at a time, spraying application fluid as I go...do each letter without tape,still wet. Squeegie as I go. It sounds like this would take longer but cutting out the taping time,the drying time,etc...it goes really fast. I could lay out a banner that size,one letter at a time,in about an hour. Aso,doing one letter at a time,wet...it dries VERY fast ( a minute or so) and never any bubbles.

I've done an 8x20 banner that way.

Of course, I work by myself and large runs with app tape are impossible for me.

Actually the plywood sound MUCH faster. Some of these letters wouldn't even fit on the table by themselves and we had to move the banner while applying them. I was sure there were better ways of doing it....

LOL!!!  ;)  John you crazy!!!!

"If we weren't all  crazy we'd all go insane"

Jimmy Buffett

Jimmy is the best!!!

That thing is great!!!

I know about doing large banners on small tables - not fun at all, but you pulled it off!!!

Keep up the great work!

Guest Terry

That thing is HUGE, nice work. How many sections is the word fireworks in when you applied it. Did you apply more than one letter at a time?

GREAT JOB... looks like the cutter has already paid for itself and than some on the first job!!!