Sign in to follow this  
TorbenC

CP-2500 Serial problems

Since my main PC only has serial, and not parallel port, I'm trying to get my cutter to work with serial.

I'm using a XP PC with parallel and serial to test, and have no problems with parallel. (I don't wanna have 2 PC's running)

If I do a Loopback test (Hardware) on the serial line, I get through, so my cable is 100% a RS232 Null-modem cable. When trying to cut, with everything setup, the cutter don't cut, and SignCut is getting nowhere (I guess it dosen't get a hardware repsonse from the cutter)

Could my serial port on the cutter be broken? Or what is going on here? (Not going on :) )

• Like 1

I finally got my cutter to work in Windows 10 - The problem was the cable. Copam CP series uses a straight serial cable, and not a Null-modem cable as other cutters.

UScutter adviced me to buy a Keyspan USB-Serial device, and it works flawless!

Now I just needs to figure out how to cut directly from Illustrator, so my workflow will be cut down to a minimum.

• Like 2

This is extremely helpful! Thank you for the update. I bought a Null Modem cable and a Keyspan adapter as adivised from other threads (but not relating spefically to the Copam) and it doesn't work at all via serial connection. I will now return it and exchange it for a straight cable as per your advice. I was able to get my cutter to eventually work through USB though but it took a lot of effort working with the software manufacturer directly.

Much appreciated taking the time to post your answer! ;D

Torben, something to consider. Though you mention you don't want to have 2 PC's running, you can hook your cutter up as a shared network device from the second computer or purchase a Networked Print Server (small dedicated relatively inexpensive device) and connect the cutter to it. Then from any computer you can use the cutter as a shared device.

Cutting directly from Illustrator or even CorelDraw for that matter (not using cutting software plugins) used to be possible using older Windows XP drivers but I haven't been able to find ones for Win 7 64bit or 8-10 either.