castironrobbie

Cutter feeding too much vinyl

Bingo, that's what I'm talking about, Primal.

Those photos show the feature for selecting either WYSIWYG or Origin Point, and it can't be WYSIWYG or else the cutter carriage will travel and the vinyl will feed, to match the layout coordinates of the graphic (or texts) that are placed on the mat, which is NOT what you want, normally.

Now, if this really solves the issue (which we hope it does), then we're owed some gold stars!

gold-stars-glittery.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone. Origin point worked great, and now I know where to start the vinyl... at the cut groove I was above that by a couple inches. So very appreciative

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Primal Decals" data-cid="405826" data-time="1445295268"><p>

glad a newbie was able to help you out lol.. With a little Slice&Dice on the side lol</p></blockquote> are you new to vinyl too?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Primal Decals" data-cid="405826" data-time="1445295268"><p>

glad a newbie was able to help you out lol.. With a little Slice&Dice on the side lol</p></blockquote> are you new to vinyl too?

I got started in jan With no knowledge at all in this nor did i know anythig about ai etc..I actually do photography as a hobby and im permanently disabled from a lower back and nerve job injury from back in 2004.

I have to say, after being here in this Forum for a few years and offering over 3500 posts, it still never gets old to be able to provide the right answers and get people sorted out.

You're very welcome.

(and hat-tip to Primal who took the time to offer those screen shots)

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone. Origin point worked great, and now I know where to start the vinyl... at the cut groove I was above that by a couple inches. So very appreciative

Can i add, maybe i misread this part. I followed you Slice but just now seeing this.  Castironrobbie, I do NOT START my vinyl at the cut groove.  I line the edge of my vinyl up right past the gray cut strip. Almost to the edge of it. If you are lining up at the cut groove shown you are still wasting that many inches of vinyl. After my cut finishes and advances to the groove and i cut, then i back it up to the cut strip. 

Can i add, maybe i misread this part. I followed you Slice but just now seeing this.  Castironrobbie, I do NOT START my vinyl at the cut groove.  I line the edge of my vinyl up right past the gray cut strip. Almost to the edge of it. If you are lining up at the cut groove shown you are still wasting that many inches of vinyl. After my cut finishes and advances to the groove and i cut, then i back it up to the cut strip. 

ya you mis understood bud. That image shows after the cut and advances my material 5.25" to a groove so i can cut it where my job ends and then that groove just helps make a straight cut thats all.After i cut it, i either remove my material or just reverse the machine to the starting point for a new cut etc.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Primal Decals" data-cid="405907" data-time="1445360372"><p>

ya you mis understood bud. That image shows after the cut and advances my material 5.25" to a groove so i can cut it where my job ends and then that groove just helps make a straight cut thats all.After i cut it, i either remove my material or just reverse the machine to the starting point for a new cut etc.</p></blockquote>how do I reverse the machine? My initial problem was when I start my cut the machine sends the vinyl through it and sometimes off. After the first time doing that the next will start where I want it to right near the corner and the vinyl stays put. It gets frustrating having to cancel each job and pull the vinyl through again

On my MH model, I hit the reset button after each job completes.

To 'reverse' the vinyl all you need to do is press OFFLINE, and then use the arrows on the keypad (light tap will slightly jog the material or the cutting head; holding the buttons will run rapidly). Once you're positioned, press the ORIGIN button to set. and go back online, ready to cut from that point.

• Like 1

Will try when I get home. Thanks slice.

This industry is great. People didn't realize they wanted a decal until they knew someone with the means to make it. While its frustrating to me right now, I know when I get this issue resolved it'll be smooth sailing. So much more challenging then I thought it would be. Very cool

Glad you got it sorted. You will find that every machine and cutting software combination are slightly different. I use SignCut Pro which will post feed the vinyl to cut off like you are seeing and then I hit the return key on my computer and it self feeds back to the optimal starting point. These parameters have to be set by the user obviously but it works great. Once you get yours all dialed in so your running error free then you might want to take a second and write down any setting that you have so you remember them if things go awry and they get erased. 

• Like 1