Sign in to follow this  
cookswv

What vinyl is best for stenciling and painting windows?

I have a silhoutte cameo and use it to stencil to paint wood but have been asked recently to help a lady renew some old windows and paint designs on them. I just used the normal stencil I do for my wood but the paint peeled right off with the stencil. What stencil is best to allow me to have the same outcome on a window as I do my wood? I prefer crisp clean lines and also what paint is best to use??

If you are going to all the work to cut the stencils why not just do vinyl on there? Probably a silly question...

Paint has a hard time sticking to glass. If you wait till the paint drys to try and remove your stencil it will probably pull the paint with it. Try removing your stencil as soon as you finish with it while the paint is still wet. Also look into special glass paint that will stick to the glass better.

Because it's a larger design and has several different colors involved.

Wouldn't several different colors mean several different stencils? Maybe I'm missing something. If you are cutting stencils for a big window you are cutting bigger pieces than the actual painted area. It's no skin off my back but I do a decent amount of window work and it's pretty easy to do layered if you set it up right.