Monkey

keyspan and windows 8.1

Ok is anyone else having problems with their keyspan and windows 8.1? I bought a new computer which has 8.1. Everything worked fine until I installed my keyspan and cutter, the bsod for driver power state failure. Sent minidmp file to Microsoft and came back it 2 as in direct relation to the 2 keyspan driver files.

I called tripplite and they had me go download and install their new "8.1" driver and install. I had already done a system refresh and made sure the old driver gone. Few hours later, same bsod. I'm out of solutions. I can't be the only one with this problem. Uscutter said they couldn't help, tripplite said that's the right driver....Asus solution is a complete system restore but no assurance that fixes it.

I just set up a laptop on 8.1 friday for someone. If anything goes wonky I'll let you know

Already contacted them and downloaded their latest driver.

Perhaps it's better to have an OLDER driver (as I linked).

Older driver is what I used first. Then when issue happened I contacted them, they got me using newest driver for 8.1 and same thing

Well trip-lite cant figure out why it isnt working. Its definitely their driver doing it. "was sent higher up and will get call when they figure it out". So in other words "We have no idea". Only option right now is to try to work off USB cable. I dont like that idea because of the memory rate problems in the SC. Hence why I had a keyspan in the first place. So put together a fairly large project and sent it to cutter without a blade in it to see if it will run it all without freezing cutter. Other then that I dont know what to do other then run my cutter off old computer and design on new.....but thats just a PITA.

You could always buy a PCI serial expansion card for the computer, Newegg.com has one that works with Win8.1 for about $20.

• Like 1

Yeah I thought about that, but being this computer is barely a month old. I really dont want to open it up and risk warranty issues.

Just remember to unplug the computer and wait a few minutes before installing the card. You don't want to destroy your motherboard.

Why? The only think you need to take care of is static discharge. With the computer plugged in and grounded, if you simply touch the metal frame of the case while you pickup and install the card you will be safe.

Are you joking?

If it's plugged in the voltage can damage the card and your motherboard. You can leave it plugged in as long as you turn the switch on the power supply off. It will still be grounded this way but not have voltage on the motherboard.

I prefer to unplug it entirely and ground myself to the case. This way I can't accidentally bump the switch.

Yeah I may go that route. I contacted ASUS and they said it would void my warranty if I open the case. Right now Im back to USB cable, since Tripplite cant come up with a solution either. So far its working. Just have to remember to shut it down in between large cuts again.

Hi been thinking of putting a serial card in to run my cutter, just used it through the usb port since i got it, only thing is you can't do the test and other stuff from the software, was wondering if  installing serial card allows you to do this?