Sign in to follow this  
jmas

Educate me on frosted glass film

I need to make 5 2x2ft frosted glass decals for the company I'm getting ready to work for. They're not very intricate, just a 2ft ring, inside that is the company's name going around in a circle, another ring, and "25 years" in the center of everything. This is a business with a large glass front but it's covered and will probably never get wet but the exterior will be open to temperature changes.

I've never worked with frosted glass vinyl and I'll be ordering it tonight, I just wanted to ask before I ordered...

Does anyone recommend anything other than ORACAL 8810? I haven't looked up all the brands, that's just all I saw on uscutter. I'll probably get that unless anyone recommends a different brand.

Do you put it on the outside of the glass or inside? Again, the glass is covered and probably always in the shade.

Will wet install work? I usually prefer wet on large decals.

Does regular transfer tape work fine? I'm not exactly sure what transfer tape I have, it's at home and I'm at work, but I think it's Rtape high tack paper. I also have a low tack clear tape, but I'm sure that's no good for frosted vinyl.

I guess the good thing is that I'll be working there soon so if I screw it up I can just replace it.

I think that's it. Any input before I order tonight is appreciated. Thanks!

Apply to outside of glass

Apply wet or dry

Use a Hi tack transfer tape like Oracal HT55  Rtape AT75 ( Rtape AT75 or 4075 might work) never tried it.

Hi tack tapes are needed for most vinyl with a Matte finish which  8810 is,  as well as Oracal 631 Wall vinyl.

Thanks! I thought applying it outside would look best anyway and I think AT75 is what I have at home. It sounds like I'll be good to go.

I'm looking forward to using it and I think this is going to be my favorite vinyl job so far.

i bought a small sample of the oracal stuff and its great

just treat it like you would normal vinyl 

when applied to glass /windows  etc (outside  as stated) it looks just like the glass was etched 

I will be getting a roll of the stuff soon as it gives a great effect   and i really like the look of it 

I used it for when the Boss bought out another dealership and its on the entry doors ( the new dealership name ) and its nice and classy 

David 

Any tips on separating it from the backing? I got HT55 app tape as recommended but it still barely sticks to the app tape. I only tried with a couple small test decals and I guess I can manage, but, man, it's going to be a pain in the butt. I was thinking about running a heat gun over it before pulling the backing off, but I'm not sure if that will help or hurt.

Anyway, tomorrow's the day. If I don't see any tips, I'll struggle through it. I'll post pics if I don't get mad and throw them in the trash lol

Well, I didn't get to install them yesterday, other people were working in the way. The place is still under construction although the building itself is mostly done. I go to work there in two weeks to help get it ready to open so I'll install them sooner or later.