Sign in to follow this  
gotswrv

Old cutter doesn't communicate

Ok, I'll start with this cutter (Refine MH1351) has been setting around for years. It has been passed around between friends without any use. So getting bumped around and such, without anyone knowing if one of the bumps did it in. Original purchase was early Jan of 2009. Probably 3 years since it was last powered up.

The software I'm running is WinPCSign Pro 2007. The computer is an old XP laptop that has been intentionally kept from updating for many years as well. I use this laptop to run my laser cutter, home made CNC stuff, as well as flash automotive ECUs, It is always kept offline.

I've always run a keyspan usb to serial.

The symptom:

I click the start job button on the laptop, program goes non responsive. Requires me ending the task to get out. 

If I intentionally put in incorrect port com settings (like wrong port) the software pops up a message stating the things are bad, that I need to check settings. 

The cutter is otherwise working correctly. Reset drives to the end of travel switch(red light is always on). Test does it's little funky motion. offline lets me drive around and set my origin. Redraw comes back with no data. 

Steps taken:

I've been digging around for several hours trying to locate correct port settings. All documentation seems to say only that I should not need to change the settings. Nothing I've found lists correct port settings. Most links to drivers are old and broken.

It is reasonable to think that over the years, one of my other projects have required my changing the settings from the default. I may have even changed the defaults. The keyspan is defaulting to 2400 baud, cannot remember why I would have forced that, but I think it is proof that my defaults are not standard. 

I've found that the documentation shows that if I experience communication issues to slow the baud rate. The instructions for this are to press the reset button after changing the setting. However, both the documentation and my testing show that the reset button resets the baud setting back to 9600.

I've tried installing drivers to use the on board usb to serial converter for use with a newer laptop(windows 7). I've also tried using the keyspan on the newer laptop. 

On the newer laptop I've also tried a gigaware usb to serial, and a second keyspan. 

Both of these laptops were used successfully with the cutter years ago. 

What is the correct method for setting the baud rate?

What are the correct port settings?

Whats the problem?

Thanks,

Sam

I tried it, doesn't crash, just says it is having trouble connecting. The port settings are the same as what I've been using. 

Any other suggestions?

Is it time to start buying boards?