I posted this same thread in the refine cutter support forum, but realized that the last thread posted in there was from a few years ago.  I figured i'd post it here instead.

I purchased an MH-871-MK2 last Monday (5 Oct 2015), and recieved it on Wednesday (7 Oct 2015).  Wednesday evenining, I got home a bit late from work, and had to be back to work early, so i just set up the hardware (plotter).  Thursday afternoon when I got home, I installed the drivers, setup SCAL Pro 3, Flexisign 10, and InkScape/InkCut.  I attempted to use Flexi first because word on the street is that is the software to use, and was able to cut 1 small graphic.  I noticed I didn't cut a border with the graphic, so i added a border in Flexi, and went to cut the bordered graphic.  The graphic began cutting, but after the plotter was finished, it began cutting in a "stair" like pattern all accross the vinyl.  Now, when i try to cut a graphic to see if i fixed the problem, it wont send to the plotter, but when i turn off the plotter and then turn it back on, it'll start cutting, almost as if there is a cutting queue.  It'll do this everytime.  When i turned on the plotter this morning, it started cutting a graphic. 

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix this?

EDIT:  It only starts cutting when it's turned on when it's plugged into the computer.  If i turn it on while it's not plugged in to the computer, then it doesn't start cutting.  It's plugged in via USB

Did you register the program also your using USB they are iffy set ups use the serial Port using a keyspan uscutter sells them. Static electricity causes problems with the MH series cutters also so look into that. I went from that same cutter to a Graphtec due to those issues.

Here is a picture of the graphic i pulled off an ebay store to get the cutter set up and tested.  Everytime i turn the cutter on when it's plugged into my computer, it starts to cut this graphic, and when it's completely done cutting the graphic, it heads off.  already ruined some of my black vinyl because of it, lol.  weird thing is, it only starts to cut this graphic when it's turned on WHILE it's connected to my computer.  if i turn it on when it's NOT connected to my computer, it doesn't cut anything.  i uninstalled flexi, and SCAL just in case they might've been running in the background, and even ended any and all processes related to both programs, and it still starts to cut when i turn the cutter on while connected to my computer.

I did order a keyspan adapter this morning after another forum member brought it up.  So hopefully that comes in quick.  Any idea is the static kit that USCutter sells is worth it?  It's only $15, so i figured if it's good quality, and works, the tiny investment would be worth it.

5A37D771-575E-497D-940D-0728161F9677_zps

If that's pen and paper then static is most likely not the issue. Keyspan may be the answer.

With it starting to cut when you turn it on while connected to the computer then that would indicate that the printer spool on the computer still have the job queued and is sending to the plotter as soon as you turn it on. My understanding is the onboard memory of the plotter is whipped when it is turned off so the only way the plotter can plot that image when first turning on is if it is coming from the computer.

• Like 1

That makes sense, but when i checked the print queue in control panel, it was empty.  I did uninstall and reinstall drivers and that appears to have worked.  so everything is working now.  I'm still waiting on the keyspan adapter, and when that comes in i will be using that.

why are we all having problems with our printers we paid for? im starting to think that the software developers are crapping on us and forcing us to keep buying the software upgrades... my printer was working fine then they started putting lines down the image after finish cutting apparently we needed to put the serial number into the program so it doesnt cut extra lines, now its been working for a long time now it just stops mid cutting and returns to reset postion and SCAL 3 stop responding I have never had a problem now this??????

First - there really aren't any generally distributed cutting software out there that is free of charge, so yes, you need to buy a license in order to stop getting slashes through your cut design.

Second - it's cutter, not a printer.

Third - there is no conspiracy among the software companies to force people to constantly upgrade (because Adobe doesn't make cutting software. LOL). Most of us find the software that is most effective for us, and we stick with that ... until the computer or cutter breaks, then it's time to reevaluate the setup, to see how you'd want to move forward. A lot of us also do not do computer updates, or firmware updates unless absolutely necessary, because if it ain't broke, there's nothing to fix, so don't disturb the setup.

If you bought your license, then your issue is with the software company, and I encourage you to contact them directly and explain to them that you are an existing customer, with a license number, and that issues that are occurring.

What have you tried so far? We get you have an issue, but no doubt you have tried something to try and fix it. It helps the forum members to know what your setup is (computer, operating system, cutter make and model, how you're connecting to the cutter), and what you have tried so far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Adame said:

why are we all having problems with our printers we paid for? im starting to think that the software developers are crapping on us and forcing us to keep buying the software upgrades... my printer was working fine then they started putting lines down the image after finish cutting apparently we needed to put the serial number into the program so it doesnt cut extra lines, now its been working for a long time now it just stops mid cutting and returns to reset postion and SCAL 3 stop responding I have never had a problem now this??????

You should see the stuff that Uber and Lyft drivers have to go through with updates basically every week. And now there is a requirement to take a selfie photo just to log in (wearing a mask, of course).

And for the record, most customers DO NOT have problems with the equipment purchased from USCutter. It seems that buyers are largely satisifed, and while a few do come in here for help, generally it is just lack of knowledge rather than mechanical issues.

I bought a MH 871-MK2 in October and got it working with my WIN 10 Desktop so far as communicating, but the carriage won't actuate the blade. I called for advice and got a new carriage sent to me very quickly, but no instructions on how to change it so I went to UTUBE to find a video, but it said that it was no longer available. I could just start taking things apart, but would rather do it by the book. Can I download instructions for that problem?

When you called did they do some troubleshooting with you to determine you needed a new carriage? The problem you are describing sounds more likely like a bad Z-chip on the mother board. Would hate for you to go through the hassle of changing the carriage if it's not going to solve your problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

When you called did they do some troubleshooting with you to determine you needed a new carriage? The problem you are describing sounds more likely like a bad Z-chip on the mother board. Would hate for you to go through the hassle of changing the carriage if it's not going to solve your problem.

maybe they had the op do a battery test on the carriage  . . .  I would hope before going thru all that