Sign in to follow this  
NWAWraps

Cutter will cut the image, but then head off on it's own in flexi

Purchased the MH 871-mk2 on Monday and received it on Wednesday.  Wednesday evening i put together the plotter, and Thursday evening I installed the drivers and software.  I went ahead and got Flexi due to other forum members saying that it's one of the best cutting software.  

So tonight I do a bit of researching on how to use the software, etc, got a graphic together, and sent it to the plotter.  The very first cut was great!  but it didn't cut a border for the graphic so I could get it ready for application, so I went back into flexi and put a boarder around the image, and send it back to the plotter.  it cut the image, then cut the boarder, and then started cutting off into space, a stair like motion, all through my vinyl.  I know, i should've used the pen attachment instead of the blade so i wouldn't ruin my vinyl, but gotta learn from my mistakes i suppose.  So hit the reset button on the plotter and tried it again.

When i would try and send the image back to the plotter for cutting, it wouldn't cut at all.  in the cutting window, i would click "send" to send it to the plotter, but it wouldn't do anything.  i would have to completely turn off the plotter and then turn it back on for it to cut.  but when i got it to cut, it would finish the graphic and then start cutting off into space in a stair like motion again.

Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix this?  Possibly let me know what I'm doing wrong and how correct my error?  I'm a total noob, so be gentle.   :mellow:

If you need anymore information, let me know and i'll do my best to clarify anything.

Thank you, 

Justin

Possibly a static issue? Is the cutter grounded? On the lower end cutters sometimes they need to be grounded. Some one with more knowledge than I have on this subject will be along shortly, i'm sure. Just a suggestion. I would think it has nothing do with Flexi.

Yes, the machine is grounded with the grounding wire that came with it.  it could be the machine.  i will call USCutter on Monday just to verify.  I appreciate your input!

I didn't look at it in wire frame.  honestly, I'm not even sure what that is.  I'm still learning to use all this equipment.  It appears something is going on with my plotter though.  everytime i try to cut something now, it won't sent to the plotter.  but when i turn the plotter off and then back on, it starts to cut the image.  When i hit the reset button, it'll stop.  I'll turn the plotter off and on again, and it'll start cutting the image.  It's almost as if it's back dating cut jobs.  thats another issue though.  but still makes me wonder if it's the hardware and not the software.

Check out a search for keyspan adaptor on this forum. lots of peple have this problem with the MH series.

That cutter really shouldnt be run on USB memory too small, and poor USB emulator.

A serial connection regulates the flow in a way to the cutter.

• Like 2

Here is a graphic i borrowed from an eBay store to get my cutter up and running.  just did a quick vector and sent it to the plotter.  the first cut was great, but i forgot to add a weed border.  so i added the boarder, and sent it back to the cutter and after it was done cutting the image, it began cutting off into my vinyl.  now, every time i turn the cutter on, if it's plugged into my computer, it will begin cutting the graphic, and when it's done start cutting off into the vinyl.  If the cutter is not plugged into my computer when i turn the plotter on, it won't start cutting any graphics.

i installed the pen adapter and some printer paper to give you guys an idea of whats going on.  I did purchase a keyspan adapter (USA-19HS i believe?), so hopefully when that comes in i can see if that will work.

5A37D771-575E-497D-940D-0728161F9677_zps

Thanks for posting. So that is a complex graphic --the keyspan should help. I also would recommend making final cut larger than the test above.

• Like 1

Ok.  Awesome!  I ordered a keyspan earlier this morning, so hopefully it'll come in quick.  I'll update when it comes in and i get it figured out.  Thanks again!

Do you cut from a laptop that is plugged into a ac wall adapter? A good friend of mine had trouble cutting with USB unless she was on battery power. She eventually got a Keyspan adapter and that fixed the problem.

To look at something in wireframe, click on your image and in fill stroke editor you will see a box to check for wireframe. Did you try and design your own graphic to send to the plotter?

I'll look into it. I did make a simple text graphic, but when I turn the plotter on while it's connected to the computer, it just starts to it that one 2nd amendment graphic. Reminds me of a print queue. When you send a few jobs to a printer and it doesn't print, when the problem is fixed, it continues to print everything in the print queue. It's the same thing with this plotter. It seems as if it is trying to cut previous jobs, but it's all the same graphic.

Check your production manager. You probably have a few jobs queued. Delete those and you should be fine.

The cutter memory should be cleared once turned off. If flexi is still in the process of sending data when you turn the cutter back on it may start cutting again.

mfatty500:  I checked the graphic in wireframe and don't see any hidden objects or anything.  I just got an email confirmation today saying that my keyspan adapter has been shipped and gave me a tracking number.  hopefully it'll be here soon.

The cutter memory should be cleared once turned off. If flexi is still in the process of sending data it may start cutting again.

I uninstalled flexi and it still cuts the graphic when i turn the plotter on.  i just resintalled flexi and it's still cutting the graphic when i turn the plotter on.  I'm so confused now

Have you "printed" to your cutter at some point? I don't know if that's possible with flexi or not. Check your printer queue. Hopefully someone else has some input.

• Like 1

No i havn't. I used the cut/plot option in flexi. i just checked my printer queue and there is nothing in there.

might just stick some paper in there and then pen and let it run for a bit and see if it clears itself out?  Or maybe disconnect the cable to the cutter then reboot computer and hook cutter back up.  (when in doubt, cycle power and hope for best!) LOL