rudedog

Best font for web addresses

Looking to get some opionions on what font to use for web addresses (URLs)?

I have a customer looking for a 1" high by 29 letters (including the www and com).   My only concern is weeding the white vynil.  I hate weeding white...

Your QUOTE> "... what font to use for web addresses" is like asking us, "Which part should I replace on my car?".

Have a look at Arial Black, Jokerman, and Old English, and begin to ponder why a certain one looks better.

How about something Appropriate for the Context?  Oh, I know.... "Sans Serif" would be perfect!  #ROLLEYES

I am of the opinion that it's easier to read Serif lettering ----  and since you're at 1" size, that's very much applicable in this instance.

This falls under the topic of "Typeface legibility" (cognition)

The basic concept of which is "better" for reading is so tangled up in decipherability, pattern recognition, reading speed, retention, familiarity, visual grouping, aesthetic response, and real life vs. test conditions that contradictory results can be obtained for the same exact type faces under different test conditions.

I would type it out as:    www.HappyCamper.com  (with uppercase letters for the start of each distinct word ---  remember, URL's are not case sensitive, but adding uppercase text makes it easier to distinguish what the address is)

• Like 1

I agree with Slice on the capitalization. It automatically looks like a phrase which makes it easier to remember.

Thanks everyone,

While I agree and that's how I layout my own URLs and recommend it to others.  It drives the tech side of me crazy and would never do that for a "Tech" customer.  This is a car performance shop so mixed case works.  

I'll give them a few choices, starting with Serif.

-Jim

Serif is usually easier to read in long blocks of continuous text, but sans is usually preferred for small chunks and smaller physically sized text, both of which fit here. And with random capitalization, the cleaner the letters, the better.

post-29371-0-13668900-1444451584_thumb.p

• Like 1

How about Highway Gothic. Good enough for road signs all over the world, should be good enough for a web address.

As for hating to weed white, have you tried the white that has the blue liner?

What white vinyl are you using? And why do you hate it? If because you can't see what's vinyl and what's backing, Oracal uses a blue liner for white, makes it much easier to weed.

It's 651 just can't see my cut lines to weed.   (when I have small detail)

It's 651 just can't see my cut lines to weed.   (when I have small detail)

I use a adjustable neck desk lamp when I am weeding and put the light at a angle to the vinyl and all my cut lines show up great! Next best thing would be to have a light table to weed on.

I use a adjustable neck desk lamp when I am weeding and put the light at a angle to the vinyl and all my cut lines show up great! Next best thing would be to have a light table to weed on.

+1