Sign in to follow this  
dzimmerm

Best Wide Cutter for Under $1,000

I've read quite a bit online about choosing a cutter, and understand that the general concensus is "you get what you pay for".

Here's my context:

-buying it for a non-profit
-need to be able to cut 36"x48" vinyl pieces out to mask 3 seperate light box signs. (so a 40"+ cutter to get clean 36" strips is what I've been told is minimum)

-primarily signage that will be placed on walls and windows
-not a ton of little details work, mostly lettering at least 2" high

-budget: would love to stay under $1k if possible

Any insight?  I've been trying to pull the trigger on this for 2 months and honestly am discouraged it's taken so long to get it figured out.  Would love some clarity

Thanks!

That's a conundrum for sure. The problem is the budget cutters while often wide are not strong on large jobs. They have memory issues and don't track well. Is the application such that you could do them in two pieces? (what we call tiling) A better cutter will be accurate enough to tile consistently and it will also be a heck of a lot easier to mask and install. You need to find a used Graphtec or Roland. 

ahhh grasshopper - but after you try a servo motor machine you are ruined for life and wonder how you ever got along without it

sad-chinese-emoticon-md.png

I second that.

Ah, but grasshopper, you must pay crose attention to the quesion.  He say he have budgret of a thousand dorras.    

• Like 1

Ah, but grasshopper, you must pay crose attention to the quesion.  He say he have budgret of a thousand dorras.    

I think Dakota was just pointing out that servos are the best and if you can afford one they should.

and the one with servos I pointed out just barely crossed that threshold our friend john was a long time skeptic (like in the neighborhood of 10+ years - until he got a titan with servo motors then all we heard was ohhhhs and ahhhhs 

• Like 3

and the one with servos I pointed out just barely crossed that threshold our friend john was a long time skeptic (like in the neighborhood of 10+ years - until he got a titan with servo motors then all we heard was ohhhhs and ahhhhs 

ooooooh Ahhhhhhhhhh OOOHHHHH AHHHHHHH what can I say I love my Graphtec take that anyway you want lol.

1.) So the concensus is get the refurbished Titan 2?

2.) Previously, my team used Oracal 631...I can use this vinyl in that cutter right? 

3.) I'd also need a translucent option for those lightboxes so I welcome any strong opinions on what vinyl is best?

Super grateful for the direction from you experienced chaps.
DZ

oracal or 3m you cant go wrong with - so look for their translucent for the light boxes - no problem with cutting about anything with the titan  - has real usb connection and not the flaky emulation chipset found in the value cutters and the servo motor will do fine detail much easier and better - couple the titan2 with a cleancut 60 degree blade and you will be a happy camper to the extent of your design capabilities 

there were a few 'oh sh*t' in there along the way too.

• Like 2

there were a few 'oh sh*t' in there along the way too.

would you go back to the stepper motor cutter for you every day cutting?    >:D

would you go back to the stepper motor cutter for you every day cutting?    >:D

Well if you ask me yeah heck them are reliable machines and cut the best details if you play with them for a couple of days before your first cut man I cant keep a straight face I'm laughin to hard.

• Like 1

Sounds good...ordering now.

To be clear, I can cut any vinyl smaller than 48" as well with that unit correct? I have rolls of 24" ORACAL for example.  In other words, the vinyl doesn't have to be 48" to cut properly, right?

Yes, you can cut 15", 24", and smaller.  You will be fine with any rolls you already have.

FWIW, I have a Graphtec ce-60 and it is worth EVERY PENNY.

I'm sure that's true about the CE-60 but it's twice as expensive from what I can see...

Yes, you can cut 15", 24", and smaller.  You will be fine with any rolls you already have.

FWIW, I have a Graphtec ce-60 and it is worth EVERY PENNY.

post-24492-0-30738800-1444852013_thumb.j

• Like 1