Sign in to follow this  
jdmarti1

Starting a business

OK, I have decided to take the plunge for my wife. She wants to be able to cut vinyl, do mugs, do car magnets, etc. She will never be wrapping a car or doing large signs. My shopping list is huge. She wants to be able to do banners and such, so I know a solvent printer is on the list. Don't know what though. I will buy her sublimation printer from Richard, that's easy enough. Solvent printers are a different breed. I need something that isn't to big, and a bit more forgiving. Preferably used. I am planning on getting a used Summa cutter, now I need to figure out the solvent printer. I am thinking if she can print 36" it will never need to be bigger. Help me please.

well - you are too far away from me for the solvent printer I have for sale - but you will either be looking at 30" or 48-54".  mutoh might be an idea for a print only.  you also might look at the latex printers from hp that usc sells - they cost more per print and use a lot more power (so wiring might need upgraded) but less maint and not sure but might be a little less fussy about not bing used all the time.  remember a solvent printer will turn itself on 3-4 times a day to purge ink thru the heads into a waste ink tank to keep the heads clear and there is a weekly manual maint to keep things clean and running right.

great price on this one right now for the 54" latex
http://www.uscutter.com/HP-Latex-110-Wide-Format-Printer

figure printer and laminator - nice cutter, sublimation set up, supplies you should be able to come in around $17-20K

For Banners 54 inch solvent print, colors just come out a lot cleaner, sharper looking.

mark-s

one of the criticism of latex is the colors are not as vibrant  = was just reading an article in one of the trade mags on it 

there have been a couple people bragging about the mutoh and prismjet printers - but they generally disappear and we don't hear from them after a year or two - the mimika and roland seems to be the two that really are serviceable for the long run and made much more sturdy.  heck when i ordered the roland original parts for mine this year I had them in 2 days - try that with a 3 yr old hp or mutoh 

So as an interested observer I pose a question to the experienced. The OP mentioned banners, do you need a flatbed printer to print right on banners or do you print on non-hemmed and then hem and grommet them? I would like to understand the process a little better for someday....

So as an interested observer I pose a question to the experienced. The OP mentioned banners, do you need a flatbed printer to print right on banners or do you print on non-hemmed and then hem and grommet them? I would like to understand the process a little better for someday....

I print them on non hemmed and then hem tape and grommet them

• Like 2

Also if you are using the printer mainly for banner work don't overlook using a wholesaler and saving yourself some up front money and a few headaches.

• Like 2

Jay is right, if you add in the time & effort it takes to print, cut, tape/hem & grommet a banner

it's often wiser to order it and move on.

Design time is the same if you print or order from a wholesaler.

Sue2

• Like 1