I am looking to buy a cutter for my wife.  I have mostly decided to find a FC7000-Mk2.  What are the pros and cons to this unit?  Is there a big difference between, the Mk2 and the newer FC8600?  I plan on getting her Corel Draw, what other software will she need?  Is there a better recommendation?  Would I be better off looking for a used FC8000?  How hard are they to find?

• Like 1

How serious, is your wife about cutting vinyl? Or, is this really for you?

It is for her, although we will both be using it I am sure.  She wants to be able to be a jack of all trades.  Her main emphasis will be HTV, and more specifically rhinestones.  My plans are to buy a cutter, 3d printer, laser engraver, and a sublimation printer.  I would like to get her a smaller solvent printer as well.  Of course I will get to play with all of it - LOL.  I am the technical person, but she is the one that will learn to operate it, and the creative mind.  

That's quite a list, I like it. Unless your wife is planning on cutting sandblast material, a 6000 series Graphtec would do just fine.

You'll need a cutter program, Sign-Cut, Flexi, etc to go between CorelDraw, and the cutter. Vinyl Master is another good design/cut.

I plan on getting her a blast cabinet to engrave some stuff too.  I want her to be as creative as possible.  A Harbor Freight cabinet and a decent air compressor is really pretty cheap too.  LOL. I figured Corel would be the best way to go, just because she can learn it, and use it to design no matter what she is doing - laser, vinyl, sublimation, etc.  I have to figure out a good sublimation printer that won't break the bank, and a solvent printer that will do the same.  Don't need a monster size on either - but big enough to get her going.

One note of caution on the HF cabinet, you put it together so there are lots of seams for leaks. It can be sealed up well but does take some time. For a little bit more you can get a single piece unit where the only openings are the doors. I purchased a Cyclone E500 and have been very happy with it. Very little dust gets out, and with the addition of a vacuum and air filter it is a very clean setup.

One note of caution on the HF cabinet, you put it together so there are lots of seams for leaks. It can be sealed up well but does take some time. For a little bit more you can get a single piece unit where the only openings are the doors. I purchased a Cyclone E500 and have been very happy with it. Very little dust gets out, and with the addition of a vacuum and air filter it is a very clean setup.

I will take a look, although I planned on not using the benchtop model.  Everything I have read said that sealing was easy, just do it as you put it together.  I am open to all options though - LOL.  

I will take a look, although I planned on not using the benchtop model.  Everything I have read said that sealing was easy, just do it as you put it together.  I am open to all options though - LOL.  

I buy a lot of stuff at HF..no other choice here....but before I buy anything I read the reviews. ALL of them. Best to hear fro people with hands on experience.

I picked up a used HF bench top unit a few weeks ago for $40. It was sealed up already but they used AC metal tape on the outside underneath seams. I removed the tape and used some sample cans of Flexseal on it. The other chalking was still very good. I also replaced the old weather strip at the view window and door. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet because I pulled my back out and can't lift it up on my bench yet. Still have to install some interior lights and a vacuum attachment. 

skip all that and start with a embroidery machine. a tajima, Swf. If I could start over that would of been my first purchase.