trademarc

sublimation metal signs

Has anyone made any metal signs using sublimation?  If so, what type of metal and where can it be purchased?  Have a friend wanting me to make them some signs. 

Depending on the sign, I have made parking signs, HWY shaped signs, I have done diamond signs. There are plenty of people out there selling sublimation blanks, you can check Coastal Business, Conde, and even check ebay for blank sublimation signs. And prices are all over the place.

• Like 1

I've used some white metal from conde and  (cant think of them right now) and turned out great

• Like 1

I get mine from ACP and they are one minute from me so I don't have to pay shipping they work great 400 degree 1 minute...

It's really no different then the metal on phone inserts

iphonewwiaflag_zps3rrgwc1y.jpgpost-2057-0-50449100-1443661716_thumb.jp

I buy metal blanks from Johnson Plastics.  I have a friend who has a laser and he cuts out the shapes I need.  Took a little to figure out how not burn the edges but now that it is dialed in they work great!

I had a 2'X3' blank as a bonus piece from Conde I think it was. Couldn't think of what to do with it, then a restaurant called me wanting a menu made out of coroplast.... I talked them into the metal and gave them a dry erase marker so they could change prices if they wanted. Had to do it in sections as my press is only  15X15.

I buy metal blanks from Johnson Plastics.  I have a friend who has a laser and he cuts out the shapes I need.  Took a little to figure out how not burn the edges but now that it is dialed in they work great!

Well now I know who to call for cutting out sign shapes lol.

I was checking out the site mentioned above that had the sign blanks, it says they are coated with a special UV coating to protect against fade when exposed to sunlight. Does this coating do as claimed? Cause I have a sign shop and this would be great for us and eliminate a bunch of weeding we currently do. 

I use 60 seconds and 400 degrees

Thanks I ordered some and the time/temp that came with it came out hazy.. Finally got one to come out right 380 for 80, but one corner didn't look right so was curious what everyone else was using, to get me a dial in point ;)

I recently purchased some signchicken blanks, while they initially looked great after pressing. I noticed after closer inspection what i can only describe as "blotchy" spots on the sign. I even pressed a blank one and and the same "blotchy" spots appeared. My only guess is it is the coating they used causing this. Anybody else experienced this or have any idea of what it may be?

These were 8x10's with the "sunshield" coating.

I will take a few pics tomorrow and post them here, if it shows up in a pic. I pressed a chromaluxe 8x10 panel from conde and it came out flawless.

Here is the issue i was talking about, you can see it clearly right at the spot of the light. It's all over but really stands out when light hits it.

Any idea what would be causing this? and it even appears on a blank one i pressed, my only guess is it's the coating.

post-6560-0-48826000-1457892625_thumb.jp

Do you have a spare sign? Do you have rubbing alcohol or even Hydrogen peroxide?  If you do take a piece of paper toweling wet it with the Alcohol, or Peroxide and wipe down the printing area and let it dry. They may have residue or even fibers that are collecting the ink or not accepting it as well. I know they use to come with a plastic covering to avoid scratches see if it has that.

They do come with a protective covering, that i peeled off....I wiped down the blank one i pressed with rubbing alcohol cause i thought it might have been residue from the protective coating causing the blotchy spots, but it came out with the same spots. I have emailed & left a voicemail with the signchicken guy but have received no response.

Try less pressure, lower temp ( 5 degree increments) and shorter press times.  Personally, I've found it doesn't take medium pressure on metal.  Use as little as possible and still get even transfers. Some metals I recently bought takes 375* for 55 seconds.  The chart I received says 400* for 75 seconds.

I didnt even receive a chart from them, i just pressed like i do other aluminum blanks 400@60sec. The blank one i did at 400@about 50sec. I have more blanks i will try a lower temp & ease back the pressure and report back.

Thanks for all the assistance

I never recieved a chart I just did what I thought however would work. I just got some blanks from digital Grafx and they suggest 350 -360 for 60 to 70 seconds light to medium pressure, and to have the front of the blank face down on the heat press of course on top of the transfer.