jskwarek

Finally pulled the trigger

After much debate and going back and forth in my own head, I finally pulled the trigger on a USCutter LPII, this morning. I will be using this for private work only, to cut vinyl for my car projects and such. I'm going to be using Oracal 751 tape, can someone recommend what application tape I should use? I was looking at the HT55 from Oracal, is this going to be too high tack for my use?

I've ordered the following, should I add anything else?

LaserPoint II 31.5" w/ stand and basket (SCALP for Mac, software), I will also be using Adobe Illustrator to create the graphics. Then exporting to SCALP for cutting.

Weeding & Application Starter Kit

• A 12 inch roll of Classic GreenStar Application Tape
  • A 6 inch roll of Classic GreenStar Application Tape
  • A 5 pack of Chiz'lers - for vinyl removal as well as application in tight corners
  • An Excel K1 light duty knife with cap
  • A package of 15 Excel blades
  • An 8 oz. bottle of Splash concentrate - makes 1 gallon of application fluid
  • A chemical resistant spray bottle
  • 2 Rolls of 3/4 inch masking tape
  • A 5 pack of application squeegees
  • A deluxe rubber-edged '3H' style squeegee
  • A Deluxe USCutter felt squeegee

Ultimate Sign Shop Bundle

• 43" Big Foot Safety Ruler
  • 28" APPRoller Tape Application Roller
  • 35" x 47" - Greenie Double Sided Cutting Mat (90 x 120 cm)
  • Grafix Weeding Tool Kit
  • x5 Industry Standard Squeegees
  • SnapCut Knife With Ratchet Lock

I know that I still need to order vinyl and application tape, I will order those as soon as I have my Oracal sample kit in and can review colors. What else am I missing?

TIA,
Jason

A few things.....

Oracal HT55 application tape is made for flat/mat finished vinyl like 631 drywall safe & 8810/8510 etched glass. It may be so/so for normal glossy 651, 751 etc. But may have too high a tack and want to hang on to your decal after applied, especially to a smooth surface like a car. For autobody decals I would use Greenstar classic medium, you are going to be using lots if doing full side body decals. (good to see you got a app tape roller, it will become your friend)

You said you needed to still order App tape, But your top starter kit includes a 12" and a 6" roll. They are only 100' sample rolls, but that is plenty for you to "play with" while you get the hang of the hole process.

Ow and PS, Good luck with the "Private work only" part! As soon as it "leaks out" you will be cutting for others.

Make sure you have a good pair of scissors, and a tape measure, and a plastic see-through 12" ruler.

Also, I am always using a utility knife --- 

k2-_fa468d8d-b98f-4d93-a90d-295535701d6e

A few things.....

Oracal HT55 application tape is made for flat/mat finished vinyl like 631 drywall safe & 8810/8510 etched glass. It may be so/so for normal glossy 651, 751 etc. But may have too high a tack and want to hang on to your decal after applied, especially to a smooth surface like a car. For autobody decals I would use Greenstar classic medium, you are going to be using lots if doing full side body decals.

Actually HT55 is medium tack and just has extra adhesive to get down in the mat finish products. I have used it for regular applications a few times and find it actually doesn't lift regular vinyl consistently so I have saved the rest of that roll for Oracal 631 work. 

I will be using this for private work only, to cut vinyl for my car projects and such.

First...... welcome to an addiction..... I can assure you that this "claim" will not remain true.  Once word gets out that you do this..... outside stuff will come pouring in.....

rpm I think that is wording written by USCutter and incorrect. The reason I know what's up is I was needing another full width roll of app tape and actually called Oracal about the HT55 to ask if it was suitable or not for regular use. The tech there is the one who gave me the lowdown on how it works. If you notice HT55 is made by Oracal/Orafol themselves where most of the other name brand tape you see sold is made by R-Tape. I just didn't want to buy a whole 24" roll and have it setting around because I only rarely do 631 indoor vinyl. In the end I used up 70% of the roll and still have the last part saved but I wasn't that happy with the adhesion as mentioned in my previous post. I had also originally assumed that it must be some extra strong adhesive to hold onto 631 (like whomever wrote the quip about it on the website) but wanted to be sure it was ok for regular use and was surprised when they said it was actually medium tack. The purpose of the medium tack is to help get it back off the vinyl after it's on the wall knowing that most 631 ends up on textured surfaces where nothing sticks all that well especially water based adhesive. It's just got more of the medium tack adhesive which totally makes sense with mat finished vinyl.