dacholiday

New computer with windows 8.1 Errors

I just installed the full uk version. I keep getting a cut error and sbnt throws up error and shutsdown. I use a jsi-24 so in order to use it on a laptop have to use a com to usb adapter. I just cant figure out which usb port to plug this into. Or is it something else that is different than my old xp laptop.I am hating 8.1 after only 3 hours. Can't find anything, just installing the program took forever.

Help.

Is that the us cutter version? I had that one at first but keep getting a nag just opening the program. My port shows a code 10 error and says this device is not installed. I think, I am using my xp machine right now.

Oh and the uscutter version doesnt have my cutter in the list, which is why I always used the uk version.

Oh and I also have a lynx cutter that I have to run on it as well. I forgot that one

The download link I provided is the BEST and MOST STABLE installer, offering a hybrid version of the UK and the nag screens are eliminated.

Honestly, troubleshooting port errors is not usually related to the cutting software.

You really have to get into the Device Manager of WINDOWS and deal with the Properties of the com ports there and try and straighten that out.

I just checked the list of supported cutters in the SBE Cut Setup and no LYNX.

Who makes that?

It's probably just a rebadged Chinese cutter, and can run by choosing Copam or Redsail or something similar.

Vinyl Express made the Lynx I think.

I have no clue how to deal with the port error. It's a brand new just out of the box computer, so I have no idea why its messed up. I tried to update the driver, but it says I have the most current driver.

Did I mention I am using a serial to usb cord in order to connect to laptop.

Yeah, I blame any company that forces you to completely change things that work fine just the way they are. And I blame JSI for making this cutter not with a real usb connection to start with.

Oh and the port is fine for any other usb device except when I plug the cutter cord into it.

Hopefully someone else who has had this issue with 8.1 port will come along soon.

After much searching I think I figured out the issue. The serial to usb cable either has a fake chipset in it or it's a chipset that is not compatible to windows 8.1. So tomorrow I will try it on my husbands windows 7 computer and see what happens.

I downloaded the version slice&dice suggested didn't fix the problem, but I think I will download this version for my xp machine as well as hubbys w7 machine. I like the way it looks so much better.

I know this is a few months old, but can you please tell me if uninstalling SBE will erase my SBE files???  Do I need to back them up?

TIA

Do you need to back up all your VITAL work-files?

Nah.  Why bother? They'll ALWAYS (in perpetuity) be right there on your hard drive and NOTHING would ever possibly happen to crash your hard drive so that it's inaccessible and toasted !!!!

/sarcasm mode

The files are all in the SBE folder on the root level of your primary drive.

If you uninstall the PROGRAM, those FILES still exist.

It's the same as if you created .jpg files using Photoshop and they were stored in some folder (MyPictures, for example), and you uninstalled Photoshop, but those files aren't going anywhere.