Sign in to follow this  
SWISSARMS

Question on loading vinyl

Hey all, so hopefully this isn't too retarded. But, I got to thinking. I don't think my 24" SC actually cuts 24" wide. So, If I load the vinyl with the edge maybe 1/2 past the blade, will it go all the way too the end of the machine? Or still stop shy? Reason I'm asking is I have quite a bit of large decals to make, and when i lay 4 of them per row, its about 1/2 from each edge. Will I cut some of the end ones off? Should I just do 3 and suck up the wasted space? 

The "throat" of the machine is greater than 24". The carriage head will move all the way over to left, and that is a distance greater than 24" from the HOME position (far right against the right hand end cap) ---

If you load the vinyl material so that the far right edge is 1/8" to the right of where the blade rests in the home position, then you should have plenty of extra leeway for the carriage head to travel all the way to the left edge (and beyond) of the vinyl material within that 'throat' of space.

In other words, with vinyl loaded properly, it would be possible for the carriage to travel BEYOND the left edge and off the vinyl ---- although you certainly would not want that to occur, because it will jam the carriage head as it tries to return to the right, and encounters the vinyl again, catching on it.